Crispy and spicy fried chicken wings are that sinful snacks which you will get addicted to as soon as you take its first bite and will miserably fall for it!
We are not able to get over chicken wings! We seriously have been bitten badly by chicken wings and can’t have enough of it! Today I bring to you another recent favorite of ours – the spicy fried chicken wings. This is really special because of its super-natural crispiness which is the most serious business here. The discovery of this amazing crisp outer coating has changed my life completely and crispy fried chicken wings will never be the same again! I thought I know how ‘crispy’ a crispy chicken should be but after tasting this amazingness I seem to have started my learning process all over again!
My recipe of spicy fried chicken wings is inspired from the Korean fried chicken but mine is not of Korean flavors simply because I could not lay my hands-on Gochujang, the authentic Korean hot red chili paste. I kept the outer coating similar only replacing potato starch with corn starch. I believe potato starch will bring in little more crispiness compared to corn flour; but you will hardly feel the difference. The combination of corn starch, all-purpose flour and rice flour along with baking soda produces an ultra-amazing crispiness which is beyond any description; you only have to taste it to believe it!
There are 2 things which you need to ensure to get that restaurant style crispiness in your chicken wings at home – firstly, if you deep fry them, then try doing double-fry to make the outer coating extra crispy almost like a rock and secondly, if you are baking them, make sure you are using skin-on wings which are patted dry really well before shoving them into the oven. My today’s recipe is a deep-fried version, but if you want to avoid the extra calories, you can head over to my crazily addictive ginger-scallion grilled chicken wings which have much lesser calories but superbly flavorful. If you are fond of Thai flavors, then sticky Thai chicken wings will be your best friend for ever! So, you see how it proved that we at Flavor Quotient are not getting over the chicken wings as these recipes mentioned here are all our recent favorites!
Today’s spicy fried chicken wings are also one of its kind. The succulent meat inside the crispy outer coating is all you need to set your game day. The choice of sauce is entirely your wish. I made it sweet and spicy with a little higher weightage on the spicier side as that’s the way we like it here. You can even simply toss them up in a sriracha honey dressing if you are short on time or if you want to go a little overboard, you can pop the tossed chicken wings into the hot oven under the broiler for couple of minutes to get that smoky chargrilled flavor on them. Whatever you do with them, I am sure you will love these crispy spicy fried chicken wings and will get as hooked to them as we have already been! Be warned!
- Skin-on chicken wings – 1 kg
- Corn flour – ½ cup
- All-purpose flour – ¼ cup
- Rice flour – ¼ cup
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Egg – 2,
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- For Sauce –
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 6 to 8 cloves, minced
- Dried red chili – 4 to 5
- Tomato ketchup – ⅓ cup
- Red chili sauce or any hot sauce of your choice – ⅓ cup
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar – 2 tbsp
- White sesame seeds – 2tsp
- Freshly chopped cilantro to garnish
- Wash and pat dry the chicken wings. Cut each wing into 3 pieces – drumette, wingette and wing tip. Discard the wing tips and take others in a large bowl.
- To the chicken wings, add corn flour, all-purpose flour, rice flour, baking soda, eggs, salt & pepper to taste. Mix everything well with hands making sure each piece of wing is coated thoroughly with the flour-egg mixture.
- Heat about 6 cups of vegetable oil in a deep-frying pan to deep fry the wings. Once the oil is hot (in case you have a candy thermometer, you can check and maintain the oil temperature at 375F for ideal frying), add the flour crusted wings to it and fry them until lightly golden on both sides, about 10 minutes on medium-low. Fry them on batches and never over-crowd the pan. Take them out and place on absorbent kitchen towel.
- Once all the chicken are wings fried, re-fry the first batch which has cooled down a bit until they turn deep golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes on medium-high, flipping once in the halfway. Take them out and let them rest on absorbent kitchen towel while you prepare the sauce.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the minced garlic & dried red chilies to the hot oil and sauté for couple of minutes.
- Next add the tomato ketchup, red chili sauce, honey and apple cider vinegar. Mix all the sauces together using a spatula and let them heat through.
- Transfer the fried chicken wings to a large bowl. Finally pour the sauce over the crispy fried chicken wings and toss them well in the sauce to coat them evenly.
- Sprinkle white sesame seeds and freshly chopped cilantro over the spicy fried chicken wings and serve them hot! Enjoy!