Tomato & Sausage frittata is the best breakfast you can ever think of. It is high on protein as well as fiber and simply great in taste! What can beat a good frittata!
A loaded breakfast recipe at your disposal today! The tomato and sausage frittata is truly a killer breakfast with the right balance of protein from eggs and sausages and fibers from tomatoes, onion and green peas.
If you tend to skip breakfast like me, give this a try and I am sure you will love it. This makes quite a significant portion with about 6-8 servings and it freezes well too which makes it a great option for make-ahead breakfast.
If there is any one recipe to be named for unlimited customization, then it has to be frittata without a second thought.
The base of frittata is nothing but half a dozen eggs and then you build upon it as per your desire.
I too have an earlier version of frittata loaded with my favorite spinach which I had shared quite long ago, hence it was time for an upgraded one! I am sure this tomato and sausage frittata will win you over in no time!
It has just been a mere coincidence that I am posting this breakfast sausage frittata recipe on the early hours of Monday which scores highest in breakfast skipping I am sure, if any such scores exist anywhere!
But I am sure you know what I mean. After all the partying/shopping/lazing over the weekend, who on earth would have energy left for whipping up a decent breakfast on Monday morning!
I know this scenario as it had happened to me multiple times. By Tuesday morning, we mostly have collected our senses and geared up for the rest of the week.
This tomato and sausage frittata would hopefully provide you with some exciting inspiration for Monday breakfast and you can make it to last the whole week.
This sausage frittata is too good to be bored with and very fulfilling which makes it one of the best options for quick & easy breakfasts.
The combination of sausages and tomatoes turned out to be magnetic in this and I couldn’t have thought of anything better.
The smokiness of the sausages was complimented best with the freshness of the cherry tomatoes and I urge you to try this combination at least once after which I can vouch that it would become a regular at your household!
My earlier 2 frittata recipes – spinach frittata and potato & onion frittata – were all meatless delights for veg lovers. This time I thought of adding some extra protein in terms of meat but didn’t want to do all the fuss with cooking fresh chicken.
Adding some poached and shredded chicken breast meat will also work in this recipe but for me the sausages fit the bill perfectly with almost zero pre-process.
They are pre-cooked with spices and only needs to be heated up once thawed completely. Along with sausages and cherry tomatoes, I wanted to add some green aspect to my sausage frittata.
Since I already had spinach frittata up on my blog, I went ahead with cute little green peas which added immense vibrancy to the final dish.
Just imagine the color combination of this insane tomato & sausage frittata – yellow eggs with specks of red from cherry tomatoes and sausages and flecks of green through peas.
This sausage frittata looks so beautiful in itself that I would love to keep looking at it for hours; well only if I can hold my temptation that long!
- Egg – 6
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Heavy/single cream – ½ cup (can be substituted with milk too)
- Unsalted butter – 3 tbsp
- Chicken sausage – 200 gms, cut into small roundels
- Onion – 1, medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 6 to 8 cloves, minced
- Cherry tomato – 1 cup, halved
- Green peas – ½ cup
- Grated cheddar cheese – ½ cup
- Chopped green onion to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven at 180 C / 350 F and place the wire rack at the center of the oven.
- Beat all the eggs in a large bowl. Add cream, salt and black pepper to taste and whisk rigorously to mix everything well. Chill the eggs in refrigerator while you complete the next steps.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in an oven proof skillet. Add the chopped sausages to it and sauté them until lightly browned. (Sausages are already cooked meat, so you need not cook them too long.) Take them out and set aside.
- Heat remaining butter in the same skillet and add chopped onion. Sauté them for 5 minutes on medium heat until translucent. No need to brown them.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for couple of minutes. Add halved cherry tomatoes and green peas. Season the veggies with salt to taste and stir to mix everything well. Sauté the vegetables for about 10 minutes on medium heat until the tomatoes soften but not completely mushy. (If you are using frozen peas, thaw them completely before using. If using fresh peas, boil them in salted water for about 10 minutes or until they are soft.)
- Add the cooked sausages and stir to combine with veggies. Then pour the beaten eggs and sprinkle the grated cheese all over. Using a wooden spoon, give some quick stir to make sure the eggs have reached all corners and the sausages and veggies are distributed uniformly.
- Bake the tomato & sausage frittata in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set all over. Cut wedges to serve, garnish with chopped green onions and serve immediately. Enjoy!