My today’s recipe – chicken in cashew nut sauce – is a perfect comfort food and there can be no better time than this to share it with my readers.
The breeze is so chilling in my city these days! Yeah, winter has almost arrived and so is the year end. The time to snuggle inside the warmest corner of the couch under a shawl with a hot cup of soup (or coffee?) has come. This is also that time of the year when getting out of the bed in the morning, leaving that warm cozy blanket, seems to be the toughest job of the day! I mean, it’s terrible!
Also this cold wind always reminds me the end of the year (and end of year reminds me of my birthday! YAY!!). When I was a child, I never liked the winter season. The primary reason was my dry skin which used to become unbearable during these months. But things change as we grow up and I happen to like winter now – way more than the summer! Winter is the perfect time to enjoy, to relax and to have comforting food with friends and families. This is also a good time to travel for us and we already have our next tour planned out which is a hill station as a matter of fact; so it will be colder than my city. But I am sure I am gonna enjoy that!
Coming to comfort food, my today’s recipe will score 10 on 10 on that category. This warm wholesome chicken curry will not only fill you up, but also will rejuvenate your mind! The richness of the dish comes from the cashew nuts which also gives a sheen to the sauce. A bowl of white rice with this chicken curry in cashew nut sauce was our ultra-perfect dinner on a weeknight since it is extremely easy to make with minimal prep work. Chop up the chicken and mushrooms, throw everything else in the blend and give it a whizz. Finally cook everything together and reward yourself and your loved ones with this luxurious meal!
Chicken in Cashew Nut SauceServes 4
- Boneless chicken breast – 2, medium, cubed
- Button mushrooms – 2 & ½ cup, quartered
- Onions – 2, medium
- Tomato puree – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – ½ cup
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Garlic cloves – 4 to 5
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Plain yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Fresh coriander leaves – handful
- Golden raisins – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup or as required
- Put the onions, cashew nuts, tomato puree, garlic, garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric, lemon juice, salt and yogurt in a blender with little water and process it to make a smooth paste.
- Heat a heavy bottomed skillet and add oil to it. When the oil is hot, lower the heat and add the spice paste from the blender. Saute the spice paste for 5 minutes over medium to low heat.
- When the oil starts to surface over the spice, add the chicken cubes, half of the chopped coriander leaves and the golden raisins. Stir-fry over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Next add in the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Now pour in the water and let it boil. (Use your judgment while adding water – you may require more or less than 1 cup of water.)
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Check for the desired consistency of the sauce – if it’s too thick add a bit more water and if it’s too runny, boil off some water by keeping it uncovered on high heat.
- Finally garnish with the remaining fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with plain white rice.