Looking for a tasty treat for your kiddos? This moist and velvety soft vanilla muffin with a kiss of tutti frutti will absolutely win your little ones over!
It has been a while since I shared any sweet treat recipe. While going over the pipeline of recipes to be published, this tutti frutti muffin popped up with all its vigor and beauty!
What else could be better than these cuties to bring back sweetness into my blog amidst all the meaty recipes!
What is tutti frutti vanilla muffin?
This special tutti frutti vanilla muffin is nothing but your regular sweet and moist vanilla muffin with a kiss of colorful tutti frutti! These specs of red, green and orange add additional streaks of temptation as soon as you look at them!
If you are planning to make a tasty treat for your kids, this tutti frutti muffin would be perfect. They will love them at first sight! I once made these for the kids in my apartment and they sold like magic and vanished in minutes!
You can also pack this tutti frutti vanilla muffin in their school lunch box. These muffins are quite filling as well, so they would not only satisfy the taste buds but also would curb their hunger while giving them enough energy to play around!
How to customize this simple recipe of vanilla muffin to make other variations?
Most of my baking recipes are adapted from Stephanie’s recipe from Joy of Baking. I have learned all baking tips and tricks from her, so it would be a shame not to share the credit with her.
This recipe of tutti frutti vanilla muffin is adapted from her recipe of blueberry muffins. I didn’t have blueberries handy but I was really looking for a colorful muffin; hence this bottle of vibrant tutti frutti came in handy.
My better half is very fond of baked sweet treats and so you can imagine who finished most of them! The best part of these muffins is they are really a pleasure to your mouth; super moist, super soft and with the perfect amount of sweetness – neither too much nor too less!
These muffins are very easy to make and you can make multiple variations from this recipe. You can use this recipe to make blueberry muffin, mixed berry muffins, chocolate chip muffins or add any other additives you wish.
Ingredients for tutti frutti vanilla muffin
Very basic cake ingredients are needed to make these tasty treats.
Tutti frutti: This is the star of the show! You will need this colorful confectionary to jazz up your regular vanilla muffin!
All-purpose flour/maida: The base of the muffin is our good old refined flour or as we call it ‘maida’.
Egg: You will need 1 large egg for the tenderness and mild rise.
Plain yogurt/curd: Yogurt adds very good softness to your muffins. Because of the addition of yogurt, you will need less eggs.
Oil: The fat used in this recipe should be a liquid fat. You can use any flavorless vegetable oil, canola oil or sunflower oil.
Granulated white sugar: Use your regular white sugar for sweetness.
Pure vanilla extract: A dash of good quality vanilla extract will impart that soul-soothing aroma to your tutti frutti vanilla muffins!
Baking powder: Little more than a teaspoon of baking powder is all you need to ensure even rising of your muffins.
Baking soda: Add half a teaspoon of baking soda to add that most desired fluffiness in your muffins!
Salt: A pinch of salt to extract the ultimate sweet flavor! Don’t skip!
How to make vanilla muffin with tutti frutti?
This is a super simple vanilla muffin recipe. There is hardly any effort involved here and they come out really fast. So if you want to bake some sweet treats for your kids and their bunch of little friends, this one fits the bill perfectly!
Step 1: Start by preheating your oven to 190 C / 375 F. Place the rack at the center of the oven. Butter or line 12 cups muffin pan with paper cups/liners.
Step 2: After the above pre-prep, let’s start with the muffin batter. Take a large bowl and whisk together all the wet ingredients – the lightly beaten egg, yogurt, oil, and vanilla extract.
Step 3: For dry ingredients, take another large bowl (which must be big enough to hold the wet ingredients too as we will be pouring wet into dry) and whisk together flour, granulated white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Ensure all the dry ingredients are evenly mixed for even baking.
Step 4: Now it’s time to mix in the colorful cute little tutti frutti! Reserve ¼ cup of tutti frutti and drop the rest to the dry ingredients and gently stir them in to ensure they are evenly distributed.
Step 5: Finally it’s time to mix dry with wet. Make a well in the middle of dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it; then using a spatula stir until the ingredients are combined and moistened. Do note that the batter will be thick. Do not overmix.
Step 6: Let’s fill in the muffin cups now! Using an ice cream scoop or two spoons, fill in the muffin cups with the prepared batter. You can fill them in upto the rim as it will not rise up too much.
Step 7: Now drop in 3 to 4 tutti frutti on top of each muffin batter from the reserved lot. This will ensure that tutti frutti peeks through the top.
Step 8: Time to bake! Place the muffin pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin just comes out clean.
Step 9: Hold your horses! I know these muffins are very tempting but let them cool first! Place the muffin pan on a wire rack on your kitchen counter and let them cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Do not try to take them out immediately as they may break.
Your beautiful tutti frutti vanilla muffins are ready! Enjoy!
Other sweet treats you will enjoy from FQ
- Tutti frutti - 1 & ½ cups
- All-purpose flour/maida - 2 cups (260 gms)
- Egg - 1, large, lightly beaten
- Plain yogurt/curd - 1 cup (240 ml)
- Vegetable oil / Canola oil / Sunflower oil - ⅓ cup (80 ml)
- Granulated white sugar - ½ cup (100 gms)
- Pure vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 & ¼ tsp
- Baking soda - ½ tsp
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F. Place the rack at the center of the oven.
- Butter or line 12 cups muffin pan with paper cups/liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients - the lightly beaten egg, yogurt, oil, and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl whisk the dry ingredients - flour, granulated white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Hold back ¼ cup of tutti frutti and drop the rest to the dry ingredients and gently stir them in to ensure they are evenly distributed.
- Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and using a spatula stir only until the ingredients are combined and moistened. Do note that the batter will be thick. Do not overmix.
- Now using an ice cream scoop or two spoons, fill in the muffin cups with the prepared batter. You can fill them in upto the rim as it will not rise up too much.
- Now drop in 3 to 4 tutti frutti on top of each muffin batter. This will ensure that tutti frutti peeks through the top.
- Place the muffin pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin just comes out clean.
- Place the muffin pan on a wire rack on your kitchen counter and let them cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Do not try to take them out immediately as they may break.
- Your beautiful tutti frutti muffins are ready! Enjoy!