Even after trying multiple varieties of chicken wings, these ginger scallion grilled chicken wings have become the undisputed winner of our heart & soul!
There can actually be endless possibilities with chicken wings and no matter how hard I try, I won’t be able to exhaust the entire the list! But still I will keep on trying and to add to that irresistible list, today I bring the tantalizing ginger scallion grilled chicken wings! Ginger and scallion already sound a killer combination and when added to the chicken wings, it’s a whole new ball game altogether!
I first made this recipe for my cousin brother who was visiting us over the weekend. His wish was to have his favorite fish curry which he was missing a lot since he left his hometown and relocated to Bangalore for his new job. His wish was granted and I topped it with these scrumptious ginger scallion grilled chicken wings. I think we freaked out more than him on these beauties and he was busy enjoying his favorite fish curry!
Since I was busy attending my little bro on that particular day, I felt that we couldn’t enjoy these ginger scallion grilled chicken wings as much as we wanted to; hence I made them again the very next weekend and enjoyed them to our hearts’ content. And you won’t believe how easy they are to make. It just takes few moments to prep and then you just shut them off the oven; then forget about it for next 20 minutes. Take them out, flip, baste and again shut them in and forget about them for another 15 minutes. You will have good 35-40 minutes to finish up any of your pending work and once you are done, you will be rewarded with the most amazing chicken wings of all time!
I really can safely tag these ginger scallion chicken wings as the best grilled chicken wings I have had till date. They are charred to perfection and the earthy taste from scallion and ginger make them a treat to not only your mouth but also to all your senses! Just try it to believe it!
I just quickly counted the number of chicken wings recipes in our blog and realized that this recipe of ginger scallion grilled chicken wings is the 6th one. I have many more in my To-Do list which will appear here eventually. But for now, this is definitely at the top and I am not saying just for the sake of it. I had loved my sticky Thai chicken wings too which has now dropped down the rank a little but is still high on my list of favorites!
Scallions or green onions have something magical in it which makes everything taste so delicious that I can now hardly live without it. Be it my chicken and mushroom stir fry or the creamy potato salad with ranch dressing, scallions can handle everything and add its magical potion to every recipe it touches making them immensely mouthwatering! This ginger scallion grilled chicken wings take the scallion game to the next level and makes it a totally unforgettable experience!
- Chicken wings – 1 kg
- Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Green onion / scallion – 200 gms, roughly chopped
- Fresh ginger root – ¼ cup, chopped
- Green chili – 1, broken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the chopped scallions, chopped ginger, green chili, 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a food processor and process until you get a coarse green paste. The scallions should be all pureed but the mixture may be a little watery. I had to add couple of tablespoons of water to aid smooth processing.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken wings. Add 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and remaining olive oil to the chicken wings and mix well.
- Add the ginger-scallion mixture to the wings and give a thorough mix. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F and place the rack at the top most level. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the chicken wings in single layer on top. Reserve the marinate for basting.
- Grill/broil the chicken wings in the preheated oven first for 20 minutes. Then take them out and flip over. Brush the reserved marinade on the flipped side and grill/broil for another 15-20 minutes or until the chicken wings are browned all over.
- Serve the hot chicken wings with ketchup or ranch dip. Enjoy!