Spanish omelette, also known as Tortilla Española is the classic Spanish favorite for breakfast or brunch! This Spanish omelette is not only delicious, but also super easy to make!
Spanish omelette sounds really fancy, isn’t it? Well, it indeed is a fancy omelette and you must not miss having a good Spanish omelette in your life! And yours truly is here today to help you have the fail-proof recipe of Spanish omelette so you can have it anytime you desire and not gonna wait for anyone to make it for you. That’s all empowerment is all about, isn’t it? Ah well, it’s just food! But nevertheless, this Spainish omelette is definitely something which needs special attention.
Spanish omelette is the English name of tortilla Española which is a classic dish from Spanish cuisine. It is an omelette i.e. an egg dish, but surely not a basic one. Spanish omelette primarily contains potatoes and I mean lots of potatoes plus onions; though onion is optional. I like the crunch and softness that onion adds to a Spanish omelette which is why I prefer onion in mine but you can absolutely skip it. Finally, the classic Spanish omelette is garnished with chives and served as breakfast or brunch.
My husband is a freaking egg-lover and can have egg at any time of day. During the early days when we just started our journey together, I used to be amazed to see how much one can love egg! For me egg was an okayish kinda thing until I discovered frittata and I became a dedicated lover of that Italian delicacy. No, I will not start on the typical rivalry between an Italian frittata and Spanish omelette because I believe each has something unique to offer for our taste buds which cannot be substituted by the other. If you are already an egg-lover, you won’t need any new reason to love Spanish omelet, you will automatically fall for it.
You will also love this classic Spanish omelette for the fact that it just needs 3 basic ingredients – eggs, potatoes and onions – which are mostly always available in our pantry; so, you won’t need any elaborate pre-plan to prepare this. Process of making a good Spanish omelette is easy; it just takes a little test of patience while frying the potatoes and onions, which is fine given that the final result would be so rewarding. Try making this classic tortilla Española i.e. classic Spanish omelette soon and let me know how it turned out in your kitchen.
- Eggs – 6
- Potato – 5, small
- Onion – 2, medium
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut each potato into four pieces lengthwise. Then slice each quartier into thin strips. Set aside.
- Slice the onions into thin strips.
- In a deep frying pan, heat enough oil so that all potatoes and onions are immersed into the oil while frying.
- When the oil is hot, turn the heat to medium and add all the sliced potatoes and onions into it seasoning them with salt. Fry them till golden brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Take them out from oil and keep on a kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.
- In a large bowl, beat all the eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the fried potatoes and onions to the beaten egg.
- In a large shallow skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, slowly add the egg mixture, swirl the pan and spread the onions and potatoes evenly all over the omelet. Let it set on medium-low heat.
- When the Spanish omelette is set in the bottom, slide it onto a plate, invert the skillet over the plate and flip it along with the plate so that the omelette returns to the pan with the uncooked side on the bottom.
- Cook it for another 2 to 3 minutes until it sets.
- Cut the Spanish omelette into wedges and serve hot for breakfast. Enjoy!