Sweet and spicy, these sticky Thai chicken wings have all the delicious Thai flavors combined together and makes an awesome snack for your game day! Or any day if you are like me!
Thai chicken is always a winner! I had realized this after making my Thai baked chicken legs which turned out to be a traffic magnet which means it’s not only us who are addicted to Thai flavored chicken; there are many Thai-food-loving souls like us! Today’s recipe – the sticky Thai chicken wings is sure to be another rocker and am pretty darn sure it will come very close to its counterparts in terms of popularity very soon!
When I was making these sticky Thai chicken wings I was having the feeling that I don’t have enough chicken wings and it turned out to be so true! This stuff is so crazy that it just vanished in minutes! That’s why I must warn you to make this in ample amount as be very sure that these sticky Thai chicken wings are gonna fly away within a blink!
After tasting the sticky baked chicken thighs, I have simply fallen in love with this sticky business! And trust me this sticky thing does magic to chicken wings, even more than the chicken thighs; but that’s my personal choice. Chicken wings are already very comfy food and best for your game day. You can make ahead a big batch of these bad boys and enjoy your game day without worrying about the munchies – just broil them before serving and the game will be on!
My love for food is nothing new; but when I discover recipes like this sticky Thai chicken wings, I fall in love with food all over again! The flavors of different components in this recipe have created such an incredible amalgamation that you won’t be able to stop yourself from reaching out for one more sticky wings after another! This is what I call is good food!
Thai food is really addictive. I have mostly tried my hands on the Thai chicken dishes and loved them all. You can check out my Thai spread and if you are chicken lovers like us, you won’t be disappointed! I must insist you to start your journey of Thai food with these sticky Thai chicken wings post which I won’t need to convince you for any other Thai recipe! This killer dish will itself convince you to try other Thai delicacies like my Thai yellow chicken curry or Thai chicken cakes or Thai fish cakes!
There are few basic authentic ingredients for Thai cooking and thanks to the supermarkets these are now easily available in India. To name a few, fish sauce, lemongrass, kafir lime leaves, Thai rice vinegar etc are the basic Thai ingredients you will need for cooking any popular Thai dish. Just stock these up in your refrigerator and you can create a restaurant like Thai dinner at home at any point of time; just make sure to include these sticky Thai chicken wings as a starter!
- Chicken wings – 900 gms (about 10 wings)
- Garlic powder – 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive/vegetable oil – 2 tsp
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Light soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Vegetable oi – 2 tbsp
- Lemon – 1
- Chili garlic sauce – 2 tbsp
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Preheat your oven to 200 C / 400 F and set the wire rack at lower level of the oven. Prepare the chicken wings while your oven is pre-heating.
- Cut each chicken wing into 3 pieces – drumette, wingette and wing tip. Discard the wing tips (you can save them for making chicken stock at home) and wash & pat dry the other wings pieces.
- Take the wings in a bowl and add a teaspoon of garlic powder (you can add 1 teaspoon of garlic paste too instead of garlic powder) and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper (for easy clean-up!) and spray or brush about a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Spread the seasoned chicken wings on the baking sheet in a single layer. Brush or spray another teaspoon of olive oil on top of the chicken wings.
- Bake the chicken wings in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Chicken wings would be almost cooked through after 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the sticky sauce. To a large bowl, add ginger paste, garlic paste, brown sugar, light soy sauce, vegetable oil, chili garlic sauce, juice of one lemon and about ½ teaspoon of pepper or to taste. Additional salt is not needed as the readymade sauces are already quite salty. Mix well and create a homogeneous mixture.
- Now drop the baked chicken wings into the sauce and give a very good mix so that all chicken wings are coated really well.
- Now spread the coated chicken wings again on the baking sheet and brush the marinating sauce on top of each pieces.
- Broil/grill the wings keeping the wire rack at the top level of the oven for 5 minutes. Then flip the wings over, brush the remaining sauce on top of wings and broil this side for another 5 minutes or until charred & sticky to your liking.
- Sprinkle freshly chopped coriander leaves to garnish and serve hot!