Crunchy and crispy Indian spiced roasted potatoes go to the next level with the flavorful Indian spices! I can bet you will never get over it!
Since the time I had got my oven almost 3 years back, I thought of roasting potatoes multiple times but something or the other always got a higher priority. Finally I was able to get my potatoes into the oven couple of months back but they weren’t lucky enough to get clicked! I will come to that in a while.
Although potatoes are an integral part of our cuisine, but not the roasted variety. Our best bet would be the Indian version of mashed potatoes or the ever popular Dum Aloo! Now this Indian spiced roasted potato has also joined the league. This crispy and crunchy Indian spiced roasted potatoes are an experience on its own – more so because of the addictive ‘Indian spiced‘ fact!
Now let me tell you why my very first batch of roasted potatoes weren’t clicked! The reason was quite simple; the potatoes came out of the oven went directly to our stomach! By the time we could finish setting up the shooting space, they were gone! The potatoes!
We got so addicted to this Indian spiced roasted potato that next day I had to make another batch. This time I had made an extra batch just for the photography so that I do not repeat the history!
When it comes to roasting, I always used to prefer the non-veg selections which could be my Tandoori chicken or the chicken tikkas! But trust me, the roasted potatoes can give tough competition to the non-veg counterparts with a high probability of winning.
The lovely golden potatoes have the perfect crunch to please your taste buds and have the impeccable flavor to delight your senses! Isn’t it awesome?
You will get addicted to this Indian spiced roasted potato and every bite will make you more tempted and hungry!
I used the baby potatoes which I think is the best suited variety for making this recipe. But if you can’t get hold of baby potatoes, use any other variety and cut into 1 inch cubes. The best part is you don’t need to peel your potatoes for this! Isn’t that music to ears?
The prep part of this recipe is way too simple that you will wonder if this would actually be any good. But as soon as you get that tray of roasted potatoes out of the oven, you will scold yourself for not making this before!
- Baby potatoes – 500 gms
- Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Dried whole red chili – 4
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste – ½ tsp
- Garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Fresh cilantro – ½ cup, chopped
- Lemon – 1, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven at 200 C (400 F). Coat the roasting tin well with olive well.
- Wash and dry the potatoes well. Cut them into halves. You don’t need to peel them!
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the cut potatoes and toss them to give a good mix. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan and add the mustard seeds, dried whole red chili, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and stir for few seconds until fragrant.
- Next add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Sauté the spices for about 1 minute.
- Pour this spice mix over the potatoes and toss them really well so that all pieces are coated thoroughly with the spicy oil. Arrange potatoes in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes until they are tender and brown. Keep checking after every 10 minutes so that the potatoes do not get burned.
- Once done, sprinkle the chopped cilantro and drizzle with lime juice.
- Serve hot with some extra lime wedges.