These fantastic Indian spiced grilled shrimps will simple blow your mind with their burst of flavors and you will be more than amazed to know how easy it is to make these grilled shrimps!
I have been trying to perfect my grilling game and these Indian spiced grilled shrimps are my first uber-perfect success till date. Shrimps are that intriguing thing which may seem easy to handle at times, but become tricky at other times. While making these grilled shrimps, it could be easy to over-cook them; but with little extra care, you can churn out your perfectly juicy and succulent grilled shrimps which everyone will jump on, trust me on this!
Now these grilled shrimps are special; simply because of its Indian spiced factor! The Indian spiced marinate is too good to believe. I was even thinking of calling it Tandoori shrimps as the yogurt based marinate replicate the tandoori flavors of our flagship Tandoori chicken recipe. You may already have had various types of grilled shrimps, but if you haven’t tried making these Indian spiced grilled shrimps at your home, you are definitely missing something very significant in life!
Shrimps do not require long marinating time which is an advantage of using shrimps as opposed to any meat. This Indian spiced grilled shrimps recipe can come in handy when you have surprise guests at home and you have some frozen shrimps already stocked in your freezer. Indian spices will already be available in any Indian household at any given day; hence voila! You can prepare and serve the restaurant quality grilled shrimps for your sudden guests in a jiffy and you will be considered no less than a Rockstar among friends and family!
While making these Indian spiced grilled shrimps or any type of grilled shrimps in an oven for that matter, keep a close eye on time. Though I suggest you to keep the tail of the shrimps intact for presentation purpose as well as ease of eating; unfortunately, it’s the fastest portion to get burnt. Hence, I prefer using a grill pan now as opposed to an oven to make my grilled shrimps as the grill pan enables me to have greater control on my shrimps and help me avoid any unnecessary burning. You can try both the device for making your grilled shrimps and finally zero-in on the one you are comfortable with. Whatever method you chose, there is no doubt that these Indian spiced grilled shrimps will come out as a killer recipe which you will keep on making again and again!
- Shrimps – 10 to 12, medium sized
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Yogurt – 4 tbsp, thick
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – ¼th tsp
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Melted butter – for basting
- Wash and de-vein shrimps keeping the tail intact. Remove the heads.
- First marinate the shrimps in lemon juice, red chili powder and little salt. Mix them well and keep for half an hour.
- Prepare the second marinade by mixing the yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, Kashmiri chili powder, cardamom & cinnamon powder, oil and salt. Mix well.
- Pick up the shrimps from the first marinade and dip them into the second one. Discard the first marinade.
- Mix the shrimps well in second marinade and keep for half an hour more. After about 30 minutes, skewer the shrimps into bamboo sticks.
- Heat the grill pan until smoking hot. Brush the hot pan with oil. Grill the shrimps for 5-8 minutes on each side, basting in between with melted butter.
- Remove the grilled shrimps from grill pan when the shrimps turn orange and completely opaque and light charring appears on both sides.
- Serve the delicious grilled shrimps warm with your favorite dip or chutney.