These spicy and crispy schezwan chicken lollipops could be the best starter you have had till date. Warning: These are super-addictive!
Too many things happening in too short time. Way too long journeys, sleepless nights, sweaty heat of summer and heavy rains – these all can shortly summarize our last week. And then I ended it with sore throat, burning eyes and runny nose!
Finally I am in at least in the shape to share one recipe so that you guys don’t miss me too much!
I chose this recipe to share this time simply because I was craving for this – something spicy but not too heavy. These cute little things are perfect pick-me-up on that gloomy day or when you are feeling low!
After getting used to the super cool weather of Bangalore, it’s hard to adjust in 45 degree C! Even for 5 days! Now we are back and this sudden change in weather has taken its toll on me. Do you know of anything which is worse than the runny nose??
Let’s talk about the schezwan lollipop for a bit. I had shared another chicken lollipop recipe long back and if you had already visited that you might wonder what’s different here?
The difference is basically in the making and the final texture. The earlier one was more on the saucier side whereas this one is crispier. Now I can’t decide which one is better because I am good with both!
Let me ask you this. What do you crave for when you are down with cold or just simply feeling low? Do let me know and I can try that out myself. May be I will find a new comfort food for myself from your suggestion!
In the meantime, give this spicy schezwan lollipop a try and let me know how you find it! Deal?
- Chicken, lollipop cut – 12
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Cornflour – ½ cup
- Egg – 1, large
- Schezwan sauce – ½ cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sunflower oil for deep frying
- Wash and pat dry the chicken lollipop pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Mix the all-purpose flour, cornflour, salt and pepper in a bowl thoroughly. Spread this mixture on a large dish evenly.
- Break the egg in another shallow dish, add a pinch of salt and give a whisk.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan to deep fry the chicken lollipop.
- Take one lollipop at a time and dip it into the beaten egg. Take it out and let the excess drip off.
- Next place it on the flour mixture and coat the lollipop with the flour on all sides.
- Shake off the excess flour and put it into the hot oil for deep frying. Fry the lollipop on medium-low heat until golden brown.
- Take out the fried lollipop with slotted spoon and put it on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Fry all the lollipops similarly.
- Once all the lollipops are fried, take a large wok and add 2 teaspoons oil to it.
- When the oil is hot, add the schezwan sauce and couple of splashes of water. Saute the sauce on high flame for couple of minutes.
- Then add the fried lollipops and toss them well into the sauce to coat completely. All the water should be absorbed and the sauce must cling to the lollipops.
- Serve hot with some green salad.