The spicy and crispy Schezwan chicken lollipop could be the best appetizer you have had till date. This Schezwan chicken lollipop is fun to make as well as fun to eat!
Chicken lollipop is the most popular snack or appetizer in almost all parts of India and for the right reason! Today I have got you a newer version of chicken lollipop which is equally tasty than my earlier version, if not better. Today’s recipe of Schezwan chicken lollipop is more on the spicier side and had crispier outer coating; all in all, these are equally addictive and you just can’t have enough of it! Schezwan sauce is a spicy chilli sauce which is used in many Chinese dishes and it is our one of the favorite sauces. Plus, we were already hooked to chicken lollipops; hence this Schezwan chicken lollipop materialized and we couldn’t be happier about it! Chicken lollipops are noting but chicken wings shaped differently. The wing bone acts as a little handle at the end which makes it super easy to snack on!
This Schezwan chicken lollipop is a perfect finger food for your upcoming game day! They can also be a great party starter; I can guarantee that every guest of yours will get hooked to this spicy & crispy Schezwan chicken lollipop, so you must ensure to make a big batch! The best part of making this Schezwan chicken lollipop is that there is minimal prep work involved as the chicken lollipops are available pre-shaped in most supermarkets here; you only need to fry them up & toss in the incredible Schezwan sauce and you are good to go! Doesn’t that sound super-cool! Appetizer recipes such as this Schezwan chicken lollipop is my go-to when I have big bunch of friends coming over for that movie or game night in and it had never failed to impress them! Try it and you won’t regret!
Things have been quite hectic here for last few days which is why I was MIA. Too many things happening in too short time; way too long journeys, sleepless nights, sweaty heat of summer and heavy rains – all these events shortly summarize our last week. And then I ended up with sore throat, burning eyes and runny nose! After getting used to super cool weather of Bangalore, it’s tough to adjust in 45 degree C, even for 5 days! Now we are back to Bangalore and this sudden change in weather has taken its toll on me. Today, finally, I am at least in the shape to share a recipe so that you guys don’t miss me too much! I chose this recipe of Schezwan chicken lollipop to share this time simply because with my running nose, I was craving for something spicy yet easy to eat and this crispy little Schezwan chicken lollipop fits in perfectly!
The Schezwan chicken lollipop or any chicken lollipop for that matter is such a cute little thing that works as perfect pick-me-up on a gloomy day or when you are feeling low! I had shared another chicken lollipop recipe long back and if you had already tried that out, you might wonder if there is any real difference between the two? The difference is basically in the sauce that I used to toss my chicken lollipops with. Plus, earlier one was more on the saucier side whereas this Schezwan chicken lollipop is much crispier on the outside and have a very spicy kick thanks to the addictive Schezwan sauce! Now I can’t decide which one is better because I freak out on both! Why don’t you guys give both the versions of chicken lollipop a try and come back with your preference? It would be real fun to find out which one won the popularity race! Deal?
- Chicken, lollipop cut – 12
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Cornflour – ½ cup
- Egg – 1, large
- Schezwan sauce – ½ cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sunflower oil for deep frying
- Wash and pat dry the chicken lollipop pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Mix the all-purpose flour, cornflour, salt and pepper in a bowl thoroughly. Spread this mixture on a large dish evenly.
- Break the egg in another shallow dish, add a pinch of salt and give a whisk.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan to deep fry the chicken lollipop.
- Take one lollipop at a time and dip it into the beaten egg. Take it out and let the excess drip off.
- Next place it on the flour mixture and coat the lollipop with the flour on all sides.
- Shake off the excess flour and put it into the hot oil for deep frying. Fry the lollipop on medium-low heat until golden brown.
- Take out the fried lollipop with slotted spoon and put it on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Fry all the lollipops similarly.
- Once all the lollipops are fried, take a large wok and add 2 teaspoons oil to it.
- When the oil is hot, add the schezwan sauce and couple of splashes of water. Saute the sauce on high flame for couple of minutes.
- Then add the fried lollipops and toss them well into the sauce to coat completely. All the water should be absorbed and the sauce must cling to the lollipops.
- Garnish with freshly chopped green onion and serve your spicy Schezwan chicken lollipop hot with some green salad on the side. Enjoy!