This one pot couscous with chicken became my savior on many hectic days with zero compromise on flavor and taste!
This week was quite hectic! But thankfully it was a short one as we have our Independence Day holiday coming up on 15th Aug; I am writing this post on 14th late night which is my usual working time and I am eagerly waiting for this extra break tomorrow!
A short week is always good, don’t you think so? There are so many things you can plan for outside your regular weekend plans and it becomes even better when this extra ‘day-off’ falls on a Friday!
This is a great time to go for a weekend trip and rejuvenate your senses which we also would have loved to do; but this time we could not plan anything due to some other engagements. Nevertheless, we will try to make the most of your long weekend!
But today’s recipe is the one which is perfect for a weeknight meal [and that too a hectic week!] – quick & easy and quite delicious! I guess you guys are also as much in love with couscous as we are. These fluffy grains absorb the flavors beautifully and this one pot chicken couscous is sure to make a mark in your family too!
I love this type of dish which saves a lot of time and effort; yet delivers something immensely flavorful! This one came as a savior during my crazy schedule week and helped me have a relaxing time in kitchen. This is what I think smart cooking is – when I am happy cooking it and my family is happy eating it!
One Pot Chicken Couscous
Serves: 2 servings
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1, thinly sliced
- Chicken breasts – 200 gms, diced
- Fresh root ginger – 2 inch piece
- Harissa paste – 2 tbsp, plus extra to serve
- Couscous – 200 gms
- Hot chicken stock/water – 200 ml
- Handful coriander, chopped, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion for 1-2 minutes just until softened.
- Add the chicken and fry for 7-10 minutes until cooked through and the onions have turned golden.
- Grate over the ginger, stir through the Harissa paste to coat everything and cook for 1 minute more.
- Tip in the couscous, then pour over the stock and stir once.
- Cover with a lid or tightly cover the pan with foil and leave for about 5 minutes until the couscous has soaked up all the stock and is soft.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork and scatter over the coriander to serve. Serve with extra Harissa, if you like.