The traditional Indian dessert Lavang Latika is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside giving an amazing pleasure to our taste buds.
Here is another treasure from the authentic Indian kitchen – Lavang Latika! This is a super-popular sweet made all over India on special occasions to make it even for special. Lavang latika is that luxury kind of dessert which you will cherish for your life. Once you have it, it’s impossible to get over it!
I learned this recipe of Lavang latika from the super-chef of our home. Yes! My MIL! She is a pro in making this super stuff and we simply keep gorging them on! So this time I decided to finally get my hands on the festive Indian sweet called Lavang latika!
One of my very sweet readers requested to share step-by-step pictures of the recipes I make. Even I love step-by-step pictures as they show things very clearly; but I was simply being lazy to click at each step. But when I planned to make this Lavang latika, I realized this would be the ideal recipe to show it in step-by-step pictures as there are few critical steps to get to that super-perfect Lavang latika.
But don’t panic! It’s not a difficult recipe by any means; just that you have to follow the correct steps sequentially to create the picture perfect lavang latika at the end!
This lavang latika is one of the many varieties of Indian sweets which are in tradition from a long time. I was not very inclined towards learning how to make this beautiful traditional Indian sweet because I was always under the impression that these would be way too difficult for me.
But thankfully it is not! Making Lavang latika is really quite simple which is essentially the preparation and assembling of 3 different components and create something extra-ordinary. Trust me you will fall in love with them!
Lavang or cloves play the most important part in lavang latika. Each of the sweet is sealed with one clove so that the stuffing does not come out during the process. Also the lavang lend a wonderful aroma to the latikas while frying which enhances their taste so much so that it could take you to the next level of awesomeness! The glaze of the sugar syrup on the lavang latika looks very tempting and could make you an addict.
The stuffing we used in Lavang latika is the simple one which my MIL generally use. But you can innovate yourself and add some chopped dry fruits, grated coconuts etc. The possibilities are endless which is restricted only by your imagination!
- Mawa/khova (milk solids) – 250 gms
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- All-purpose flour – 250 gms
- Vegetable oil – ½ cup
- Water – as required
- Salt – a small pinch
- Cloves – 20, one for each lavang latika
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Sugar – 150 gms
- Water – 1 cup
- First let’s make the stuffing. Add the cardamom powder to the khova and knead it lightly. Set aside.
- Now to make the outer case, combine all-purpose flour and salt. Then add oil little at a time and keep mixing with hand lightly. You should add enough oil so that when pinched together the flour should stick and not fall apart. When you reach that stage, stop adding oil. Now add little water at a time and knead the flour to get a smooth dough. Set it aside.
- Make a syrup by heating up sugar and water until all the sugar melts and you get a thick sugar syrup.
- Now start making the lavang latikas. Make small balls of size 2 inches approximately from the flour dough. Each ball will make 1 lavang latika. You should be able to make around 20 lavang latika’s from this recipe.
- Roll it out to make a flat circle. Place about 1 tablespoon full of khova stuffing at the center of the circle.
- Now fold each of the four sides of the circle – left, right, top & bottom – towards the stuffing enclosing it inside the dough. Seal the final fold by inserting a clove. Set it aside and make all the lavang latika’s similarly.
- Heat enough oil in a heavy bottomed pan to deep fry the lavang latikas. When the oil is hot, reduce the heat to medium-low and fry the lavang latikas until golden brown. Take them out and place on a paper towel.
- Once the lavang latikas cool down a bit, take one at a time and dip them in the sugar syrup and let it stand for few seconds. Then take it out and place on a bowl (no paper towel this time!). Similarly dip all the fried lavang latikas in the sugar syrup and take them out.
- The flavorful lavang latikas are ready to serve!