This really special chicken fried rice is loaded with lots of veggies, eggs and meats making it a yummy and fulfilling one pot meal!
If you love Chinese chicken fried rice, you will love me today! Today’s recipe is fantastic Chinese chicken fried rice which is made really special with my twists and turns! You will be amazed to see how easy it is to make without remembering the names of thousand sauces. This chicken fried rice is so loaded with all the delicious ingredients that you will never have enough of it, trust me it is addictive to the core.
If you are wondering why I am calling is ‘special’ chicken fried rice, you have to stick on for a little longer. I know chicken fried rice is that particular dish which is being prepared every day in every corner of the world. Each has its own specialty and uniqueness and so does mine. I wanted to make a chicken fried rice which would give me loads of chicken in each spoon as well as has right amount of vegetables for required nutrition.
In general, chicken fried rice is prepared with small pieces of boneless chicken breasts but, I find it somewhat dry to my liking. That’s the very reason I added something extra to make mine special. If you have already watched the video, you know that my special ingredient is nothing but cooked chicken sausages chopped up into small pieces. These chicken sausages add great amount of flavor and moisture and takes the whole chicken fried rice ball game to a distinctly different level!
Choice of sausage can be very personal. I used some herb and pepper chicken sausages because I feel that fits perfectly with the characteristics of Chinese chicken fried rice. I am sure there would be numerous other ways to amp up the chicken fried rice and make it your very own special version like this was mine. You can even completely replace the boneless chicken cubes with equal amount of sausages to get even a higher kick of smokiness!
Stir frying is really a great technique to cook your food quickly retaining all the goodness as well as flavors. There are so many possible ways to create a delightful as well as healthy stir fry dish – like my healthy stir fried chicken and broccoli served on top of white rice or the stir-fried chicken noodles. You can actually use any of your favorite veggies or meats to create your customized stir-fry platter. Play up with different combinations of sweet, sour & spicy sauces and every time you will witness an entirely new creation of yours!
While thinking how to make my chicken fried rice special and different from the regular version, I was planning to make a sauce with too many ingredients but, thankfully I didn’t! It would have complicated the flavors of the veggies and meats plus too much liquid would have made the rice soggy. I kept the sauce really basic – smokiness and saltiness from soy sauce and deep sweetness from the brown sugar. You can add a dash of vinegar too for that sourly kick! A quick drizzle of sriracha on top while serving the chicken fried rice and the game is on! That’s all there to it – quick, easy and delicious! Let’s get going!
- Chicken breast – 2, skinless & boneless, cut into small bite sized cubes
- Vegetable oil – 4 tbsp
- Egg – 3
- Minced ginger – 2 tsp
- Minced garlic – 2 tsp
- Chopped carrot – 1 cup
- Spring onion – 1 cup, whites and greens separated
- Green peas – ½ cup
- Salt – 1 & ½ tsp
- Cooked rice – 2 & ½ cups
- Chicken sausage – 5, about 1 cup chopped into small pieces
- Soy sauce – ½ tbsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Corn flour – 1 tsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Take the chicken cubes in a bowl and add all the ingredients listed under marinade. Mix them very well to coat all the chicken pieces. Let them chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients for fried rice – soy sauce, brown sugar & salt. Set it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok and add 3 eggs. Cook the eggs until set and scramble them using a spatula. Once the eggs are cooked, take them out in a plate and set aside.
- Add one more tablespoon of oil to the wok and tip in the marinated chicken pieces. Cook the chicken for 10 minutes on medium-high heat stirring them frequently so that both the sides turn golden brown and all cooked through. Take them out in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the final tablespoon of oil to the wok and tip in the minced ginger and garlic. Saute them for a minute until fragrant.
- Then add the chopped carrot and stir fry them for couple of minutes. Add a splash of water and cover it with a tight-fitting lid. Let the carrots steam for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and give the carrots a quick stir. Then add the whites of spring onion and green peas. Season it with half a teaspoon of salt and stir fry them for 2-3 minutes on high heat.
- Add the cooked rice, the prepared sauce and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Season the rice with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper. Give the rice few quick tosses.
- Then add the cooked chicken cubes, cooked and chopped chicken sausages and scrambled eggs. Stir the rice very well using a spatula to mix all the ingredients well and distribute the meat and eggs evenly.
- Finally sprinkle the greens of the spring onion and serve hot with some Chinese side dishes.