Mushroom curry with tomatoes and yogurt is an amazing combination with all the beautiful aromas of Indian spices and is a quick yet great option for weeknight meal!
The quick mushroom curry with tomato can be your best friend instantly! This mushroom curry is loaded with flavors, but takes just 30 minutes to put together! A total win-win situation, isn’t it? I simply love button mushrooms and keep looking for new recipes to make with this cute little ingredient. Today’s mushroom curry is little different than a regular Indian mushroom masala. This mushroom curry has a pre-dominant flavor of tomatoes with a subtle hint of aromatic spices and a clingy sauce which compliments plain white rice beautifully!
This recipe of mushroom curry is adapted from one of the recent addition of books in my cookbook collection. This book promises a lot of enthusiastic recipes, but it’s not of any particular author. It’s a collection from all over the world which I liked. This mushroom curry with tomatoes has a rich and creamy texture with soothing hint of the spices making an awesome curry to enjoy best with rice as we did.
While sharing this mushroom curry recipe, I realized that half of my days are spent either by reading various food blogs from all over the world or by watching cooking videos on YouTube. I am kinda fanatic when it come to anything related to food/cooking – blogs, cooking videos, cooking programs on television, cookbooks, cooking tools, utensils, kitchen gadgets or anything you can think of that is related in some way or the other to food! I literally spend hours on online shopping sites browsing through home and kitchen section!
I feel kind of embarrassed at times to see how my cookbook collection has grown during past few months! My mum would definitely snub it as ‘sheer-waste-of-money’ and she might be right in some sense; but I just feel such irresistible attachment to cookbooks that it becomes impossible to drag myself out of bookstore without bringing one home with me! Thankfully I did so, otherwise how could I have possibly treated myself and you all with this terrific mushroom curry, isn’t it?
- Vegetable oil – 5 tbsp
- Button mushroom – 500 gms, quartered
- Fresh cream – 100 ml
- Ripe red tomatoes – 2, large, finely chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For Spice Paste
- Garlic – 4 cloves,
- Ginger – 1 inch piece, roughly chopped
- Onion – 1, large, roughly chopped
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Water as required
- To make the spice paste, put all the ingredients listed under spice paste in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet until hot, add mushrooms and stir fry over high heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the contents to a bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in the same skillet, add curry paste from the blender and stir fry over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Return the mushrooms and all the juices to the pan.
- Add the cream and chopped tomatoes and cook, stirring continuously, for 3-4 minutes or until tomatoes have cooked down a little and mushrooms are soft and cook through. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, stir in the chopped coriander leaves and serve the warm mushroom curry with plain white rice.