The smooth and rich dahi chicken curry is a sensation to your taste buds. The succulent chicken pieces will melt in your mouth and the creamy sauce will keep lingering in it for long!
Today I bring to your dahi chicken curry which is another delicious offering from the curry-dominated Indian cuisine. Curry is an indispensable part of Indian food as most of you must be knowing already and being Indians, it is quite obvious that curries dominate our meals more than anything else. We do love all kinds of food being true foodies in the truest sense possible, but when it comes to comfort food, we route back to our roots! There are endless number of chicken curries in Indian cuisine and each one is distinctly different from the other. I can bet that it would take a lifetime to taste them all but I am determined to cover them all in my blog and that’s one of my missions! This delicious dahi chicken curry is one of the restaurant staples and after going through many versions of it on net, I finally arrived at my very own version!
Before going straight to the recipe of Dahi chicken curry, lets catch up for some time; shall we? Yeah, I was away for few days, I know! And what else can be the reason! Yes, you are right! Work-pressure! Things were too crazy to handle; days were passing unnoticed and suddenly it’s another weekend! Which is of course good news for me! Two days to relax and again five days of survival cycle! But thankfully coming week will only be four days long and then a loooong weekend! Ahh! The thought of it is itself so comforting and soothing to my souls just like this soothing dahi chicken curry which has a very mellow undertone thanks to the loads of dahi which is nothing but yogurt! And then this dahi chicken curry is mildly flavored with the usual Indian aromatics which are nothing but ginger & garlic to create an impeccable sensation to your taste buds.
If you are new to Indian food and have the impression that Indian food could only be too spicy, then you must hold your thoughts there and give this dahi chicken curry a try. Dahi which is the Hindi name of yogurt is the primary ingredient in this curry recipe and hence the name dahi chicken curry which translates to yogurt chicken curry; and yogurt being a cool item, this dahi chicken curry has quite a soothing undertone without being too overpowering. Also, there is no chili powder used in this dahi chicken curry which makes it one of the non-spicy Indian chicken curry recipes. The aromatics i.e. ginger and garlic play the dominant flavoring aromatics in this dahi chicken curry and creates such an amazing flavor profile that you won’t be able to escape yourself from its awesomeness!
This dahi chicken curry is best served with butter naan which is an Indian flatbread made from flour. You may also enjoy your dahi chicken curry with plain white rice but any flatbread like naan, fulka or paratha would be my first preference. The addition of heavy cream to the curry at the very end creates a luxurious richness which makes the gravy so much more appetizing that you could hardly leave even the last drop on your plate and I am not over-emphasizing it! You got to trust me on this and give this dahi chicken curry a go; I bet you won’t regret; on the contrary you will be so delighted that you would want to make this Indian dahi chicken curry every day and your curry will turn out amazingly delish every time! Save this delicious an fail-proof recipe of dahi chicken curry and surprise your friends & family with your culinary skill once in a while! Enjoy!
- Chicken – 600 gms, cut into medium pieces
- Thick yogurt – 1 & ½ cup
- Ginger paste – 1 & ½ tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 & ½ tbsp
- Kasuri methi – 2 tbsp
- Fresh coriander leaves – ½ cup, chopped
- Green chilli – 2, slit through
- Fresh cream – ½ cup
- Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed skillet/wok. When the oil is hot, add the ginger and garlic paste. Sauté for a minute till aromatic.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir well to mix with the ginger garlic paste.
- After sautéing the chicken for 5 minutes, add the yogurt. Stir and mix well. Season with salt to taste. Cover and cook the chicken for 20 minutes on low flame till the chicken is tender.
- Uncover the chicken after 20 minutes. Yogurt should be fully absorbed by the chicken by now.
- Next add the fresh cream and mix well.
- Add kasuri methi, fresh coriander leaves, green chilli and black pepper. Mix everything well.
- Add butter at the end which is optional but will add a nice glaze to the dish. If you wish to make a gravy, add half a cup of water and bring to boil. Once the gravy comes to your desired consistency, remove from heat.
- Sprinkle freshly chopped coriander leaves or cilantro to garnish. Serve the rich & creamy dahi chicken curry warm with butter naan. Enjoy!