The scrumptious broccoli tater tots is a clever twist on the regular tater tots making it way more healthy and guilt-free! These broccoli tater tots will make your party super-rocking!
Our recent trip to Ooty resulted into abundance of broccoli at home which means you can expect a broccoli overload in our blog starting today with these scrumptious broccoli tater tots!
Ooty is very famous for its super fresh vegetable produce available at much cheaper rate and we being food bloggers went a bit too overboard with it! You will see the reflection of the same in our blog here very soon!
The very first recipe of our broccoli phase is these cute and delicious broccoli tater tots! Does that name ring a bell? I am sure it does!
Who doesn’t love the regular tater tots! But the broccoli tater tots have taken the internet by storm and I couldn’t have thought a better way to put these fresh broccolis to use.
Trust me these came out so well that I actually made it 2 days back to back! That’s pretty rare at Flavor Quotient as being on the quest of new recipes every day, we hardly repeat any. This only implies how much we loved these rustic broccoli tater tots!
Broccoli tater tots is surely a win-win recipe because even the utmost broccoli-hater will also fall for it and that’s a guarantee from me! We are already broccoli lovers; so, it doesn’t take any effort to make us eat this superfood veggie.
But even for the pickiest kid around the block will reach out for these crispy and crunchy broccoli tater tots more than once – or twice – or even more! This broccoli tater tots can be a fantastic vegetarian option for party snack which would be loved by both kids and adults alike.
Just to add a side-note – if you are not able to shape your broccoli tater tots perfectly as shown in many videos, do not worry! I, too, couldn’t roll them to the perfect tater tots shape and that’s perfectly fine.
The taste of your broccoli tater tots will still be as fantastic as it could possibly be! So, don’t hold yourself back from making these healthy delicacies just because of a logistic issue!
These broccoli tater tots are very user friendly too. You can keep the mixture ready and put it in refrigerator or even freezer until you are ready to bake them.
Any such make-ahead recipe is my best friend and I try to enrich my repertoire with such saviors all the time.
The broccoli tater tots mixture will stay good in freezer for a month or so which will enable you to bake a batch anytime you crave for some crispiness but without frying! That’s another win-win situation for you!
This is quite an easy recipe for making broccoli tater tots but you would have to maintain few things in order to achieve the ideal crispiness.
To make it easier for you guys, I have listed below the most important points to keep in mind while making these delicate broccoli tater tots –
- Drain and squeeze out the water from steamed broccoli as much as you can. This will ensure a sticky mixture easier to shape the tots with.
- Add 1 egg in the beginning and mix well. Add the second egg only if you feel that your broccoli mixture is not sticky enough to hold the shape well.
- In case you feel your mixture has little too much moisture, add a tablespoon of all-purpose flour which will soak up the excess moisture leaving you with a perfect sticky consistency. But do not add too much flour at one go as it may ruin the entire mixture.
If you follow the above points, then your broccoli tater tots will come out perfectly crispy golden brown each time, but beware! Your friends and family won’t stop demanding for more!
- Fresh broccoli – 3 heads, about 6 cups of florets
- Onion – 2, medium, finely chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs – 1 cup (can be substituted with regular breadcrumbs too)
- Egg – 2
- Peanuts – ½ cup, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour – 1 tbsp
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Rinse and drain. Boil water in a large pot and season it generously with salt. Add the broccoli to it and boil them for exactly 3 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and run through cold water to stop it from overcooking. Finally drain and squeeze out all the water and coarsely chop them into smaller pieces.
- Take the chopped broccoli in a large bowl. Add eggs, chopped onion, panko, peanuts, garlic paste, salt and pepper to the bowl. Using a spatula mix everything well to make a homogeneous mixture.
- Add the second egg if you feel the mixture is not sticky enough. Mix well.
- Add a tablespoon of all-purpose flour to soak any excess moisture and make a uniformly sticky mixture.
- Preheat your oven to 180 C / 350 F and place the wire rack at the lowest level. Grease a roasting tin with non-stick cooking spray or line it with an aluminum foil and then spray non-stick cooking spray.
- Take about 1 tablespoon of the broccoli mixture and give it a shape of a tater tot. Place the tots on the prepared roasting tin keeping a gap of about an inch between two tots.
- Bake the broccoli tater tots in the oven for 20 minutes. Then flip them over and bake for another 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot broccoli tater tots with ketchup or ranch dressing.
cakes to indore says
I really liked your blog post. I wish that you are posting consistently, Very much thanks.