The stir-fried butter garlic shrimps with Asian flavored sauce is absolutely delicious on its own but it ignites your senses when topped with handful of butter-roasted garlic!
I have an incredible recipe to share today and that is my quick and easy butter garlic shrimps! Why incredible? Because it is unbelievably easy and enigmatically delish! Wow! That sounds like a killer combination isn’t it? This butter garlic shrimps is that kind of food which will bring immense joy to your life on those days of the week when you return home from work totally drained out and are very tempted to dial in a dinner from your nearest food joint!
Well, give that call a miss and try this super easy butter garlic shrimps stir fry for busy weeknight dinner; you will love me for this! I had somewhere heard this saying that many good things have resulted from mistakes or accidents and this recipe of butter garlic shrimps is a perfect example of that. Let me tell you how! While making our lunch on that very fortunate day, I had just planned for a regular stir fry recipe doing the regular mix & match with some regular sauces and at that point of time this butter garlic shrimps with roasted garlic thing was nowhere in picture. I had all my prep work done – onions were chopped, garlic cloves were minces, bell pepper was julienned.
Then I started stir frying the onions and bell pepper and completely forgot to tip in the minced garlic which was supposed to go in first to the wok, and I only realized it at the very end of the cooking! I could not eliminate those garlic from this dish as I love the flavor of garlic infused shrimps (garlic and shrimps are just made for each other, isn’t it?). So finally came this idea of slow-roasting the minced garlic separately in butter until they turn very light golden brown and sprinkle the garlic infused oil along with the bits of golden goodness all over the prepared stir-fried shrimps! And it worked like magic which gave birth to this magical butter garlic shrimps topped with butter-roasted garlic!
This simple trick made a regular stir-fry recipe remarkably extra-ordinary and I can’t explain how delighted my family was! We literally licked the sauce off our plates after devouring the shrimps like crazy! I am extremely fond of shrimps and always on the lookout for new shrimp recipes. This gorgeous recipe of butter garlic shrimps which I developed through a forgivable mistake will always rank high on my list of favorite shrimp recipes from now on! You must, and I insist you must, give this butter garlic shrimps a try and let me know in case anyone doesn’t like it which I am sure would be impossible!
- Shrimp – 600 gms (around 25 to 30)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Onion – 2, small
- Bell pepper – 1, large
- Butter – 50 gms
- Garlic – 15 cloves, minced [ensure to have about 2 tablespoons of minced garlic]
- Dark soy sauce – ½ tbsp.
- Rice vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Fish sauce – 1 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup – 1 tbsp
- Schezwan sauce – 2 tbsp
- Cornflour – 1 tbsp
- Peel and devein the shrimps keeping the tails intact. Add ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper to it and mix well.
- Melt half of the butter in a large wok and fry the shrimps until they are opaque and develop some color. I fried them in batches for just 1 minute each batch. The shrimps may not be all cooked through yet which is all right. Set them aside.
- Make the sauce in a small bowl by mixing together dark soy sauce [you can replace dark soy with double the amount of light soy], rice vinegar, fish sauce, tomato ketchup, schezwan sauce and cornflour. Give a good stir to make a smooth homogeneous sauce. Set aside.
- Chop one onion finely and slice the other. Cut the bell pepper into julienne (thin strips).
- Melt half of the remaining butter and add onion and bell peppers. Stir fry them on medium-high heat until soft but don’t brown them all over.
- Pour the sauce over the onion and bell pepper. You may need to add half a cup of water if the sauce seems too thick. Stir and mix everything well.
- Now add the fried shrimps to the wok and mix with a light hand to coat everything with the sauce. When the sauce is thick enough to cling to the shrimps and veggies, remove from fire and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, melt all the remaining butter and add the minced garlic. Saute the garlic on low heat until it turns very light golden brown. Do not leave the frying pan at this moment as garlic can burn in no time ruining all the flavor and making you do it all over again.
- Pour the golden garlic along with all the butter over the stir-fried shrimps and let the garlic flavor seep into the sauce.
- Serve the delicious butter garlic shrimps stir fry warm over Basmati rice or some wok-tossed noodles! Enjoy!