These crispy and crunchy jumbo shrimps taste best with the absolutely delicious mayo sauce! The shrimps are coated with super-crunchy panko breadcrumbs and baked to perfection!
This recipe is to-die-for for any shrimp lover! An absolutely easy yet superbly delicious – bang bang shrimps – is what I have brought for you today and that too on a Friday evening! Trust me this can make your weekend!
Bang bang shrimps not only sounds funny, but it is ridiculously easy to make too! Since I have already proved that we are a crazy family of shrimp addicts, this one has to make its room here. And even if you are not as crazy as us for shrimps, you will still fall for it!
It’s weekend time and I am feeling very relaxed. At least for 2 days I can forget about programming jargons and rejuvenate myself in my lively world of colors and flavors. And what better way could be to start the weekend other than devouring my favorite food!
Best part of this bang bang shrimps is that it doesn’t need any fancy ingredient. If you have a bag of shrimps handy, you can whiz up a batch in a jiffy! You may be worried about panko, but I would suggest to keep a big bag of panko at home if you are too much into fried/baked snacks. Panko is a wonder ingredient and you will only know when you use it at least once!
I have no clue how the name of ‘bang bang shrimp’ came into existence but this is exactly how it is. It is not a name that I have made up. My guess is that this name has something to do with the sauce the shrimps are served with. It is a creamy mayo sauce rightly seasoned with something hot and something sweet. It is an unparalleled combination of creaminess with sweet & spiciness.
Do not even dream of skipping this sauce while planning for the bang bang shrimps. They will just be like serving cola without ice or burger without French fries and none of these is nice for a true foodie! So start rolling and enjoy your weekend with these irresistible bang bang shrimps!
Adapted from my favorite blog of Jo’s!
- Jumbo shrimp – 15 to 20, cleaned and deveined
- Buttermilk – ¾ cup
- All-purpose flour – ¼ cup
- Corn flour/cornstarch – ¼ cup
- Egg – 1
- Garlic powder – ½ tbsp
- Smoked paprika – 1 tsp
- Hot sauce – ½ tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Mayonnaise – ¼ cup
- Sweet chili sauce – 2 tbsp
- Hot sauce – ½ tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce together and refrigerate until ready for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, corn flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Then add the hot sauce, egg, and buttermilk to this dry mixture and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Add the shrimp to the bowl, toss to make sure each piece is coated with the batter and set aside.
- In a shallow dish, spread about a cup of Panko breadcrumbs.
- Coat each shrimp with breadcrumbs, add more breadcrumbs as needed, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, then flip shrimp over and bake for another 5 minutes or until the breadcrumbs turn golden.
- Drizzle shrimp with sauce and serve.