This chicken and veggie stir fry is what you need as a simple & light homely meal after all the sinful holiday food! It’s easy to make and comes around in less than 30 minutes!
Chicken and veggie stir fry is such a comfort food that it doesn’t need a special introduction. This is so much loved by everyone that I am sure we all have our own customized version of it! There may be some differences here and there, but the basic of this chicken and veggie stir fry is almost always the same.
Today I am sharing my chicken and veggie stir fry recipe which is super easy to make and guaranteed to be loved by all! You may tweak it as per your liking but this will give you a good base in case you are new to the stir fry game!
For chicken stir fry recipes, chicken breast is a popular choice. But I personally like chicken thighs, boneless and skinless. Chicken thighs contain somewhat more fat but that’s what keeps it juicy and succulent as opposed to the lean breast meat.
Feel free to pick your choice of portion while you make this chicken and veggie stir fry – if you are aiming for weight-loss then skip the chicken thighs and opt for chicken breast. The cooking time for chicken breasts will be little lesser; cook them until them turn completely opaque and immediately take them out; don’t overcook.
For the choice of veggies, you have endless options. If you wanna go with popular choice, then add bell peppers & broccoli which I have also used. I have also added onion petals as I love the smoky flavor of charred onion which is nicely achieved while stir-frying on high heat.
There are plenty of other options of veggies for your chicken and veggie stir fry. Mushroom is a very good choice; you can also add baby corns, zucchini, carrot, sugar snap peas, bamboo shoots etc. Try to pick veggies which do not melt down e.g. okra or eggplant.
For the sauce of my chicken and veggie stir fry, I kept it pretty simple as I am sure after all the holiday cooking, last thing you would want to have is a complicated recipe with a long list of ingredients!
You will only need tomato ketchup for sweetness, any hot sauce of your choice for the kick, vinegar for the tartness and finally soy sauce for the depth of flavor to round things up. Little amount of cornstarch will be required so that the sauce gets a clinging consistency.
While making any Chinese stir fry recipe, I generally use my regular carbon steel Chinese wok; but this time I used something special. Being a food blogger & a passionate cook, I always keep looking for new cookware and none of my birthdays become complete without self-gifting something special!
This year it was this cute little cast iron wok from lodge which you see in the shots and since the time I got it, I simply fell in love with it! The size is perfect for our family of two and it’s so easy to handle! I make all sorts of things in it since I got it and I don’t think I am gonna stop anytime soon!
If you love cast iron cookware, I would say that this lodge wok is a must-have! Thankfully we get lodge cookware in India nowadays and I could not be happier about it! I got two more cuties from lodge but would keep it a secret until I share a recipe using them!
Coming back to the chicken and veggie stir fry, I insist you make this recipe soon as I am sure this would turn out to be the ideal light meal which you and your family must be longing for after the holidays! Enjoy!
- Chicken thigh – 500 gms, boneless & skinless
- Red bell pepper – ½ cup diced
- Green bell pepper – ½ cup diced
- Onion – 1, medium
- Broccoli florets – 1 cup
- Garlic – 8 to 10 cloves, finely chopped (about 2 tsp of chopped garlic)
- Ginger – 1-inch piece, finely chopped (about 2 tsp of chopped garlic)
- Green onion – 4 stalks, finely chopped
- Vegetable/canola/sunflower oil – 4 to 6 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- Dark soy sauce – 2 tsp
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tsp
- Hot sauce/chilli sauce – 2 tbsp
- White vinegar – 1 tsp
- Cornstarch/corn flour – 1 tsp
- Wash and pat dry the chicken thighs. Cut each thigh into small bite sized pieces, about 1-inch cube.
- Take the chicken in a bowl and add 1 teaspoon soy sauce and half a teaspoon pepper powder. Mix well and set aside until you prepare other veggies.
- Peel and quarter the onion. Then separate each layer to get the onion petals. Cut the bigger ones into 2 pieces. Cut the bell peppers into 1-inch chunks.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and add ¾ cup of water. Give a good whisk. Your stir-fry sauce is ready.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok. Once the oil is hot, add the marinated chicken cubes.
- Sauté them on medium heat until they are completely cooked through. It would take about 15 minutes on medium flame (if using chicken breast, then it would take much lesser time, so keep an eye!)
- Take the cooked chicken out on a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the same wok and let it warm up. Then add the chopped ginger, garlic and green onion. Sauté on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Now throw in the onion petals and broccoli florets. Stir fry them on high for a minute. Then lower the heat and cover the wok to let broccoli florets soften up for 5 minutes.
- After about 5 minutes, add the bell peppers and give a good mix. Continue stir-frying on medium high until the veggies seem to be almost cooked.
- Now add the chicken back to the wok and also drizzle the prepared sauce. Don’t forget to whisk the sauce once before adding it to the wok as the cornstarch seems to settle down at the bottom of the bowl.
- Continue stir frying the chicken and veggies along with the sauce until they are nicely coated with the sauce and any extra liquid is absorbed.
- Do a taste test for seasoning and add extra salt only if needed. Add some freshly ground black pepper and give final good mix. Shut the flame off.
- Your chicken and veggie stir fry is ready to serve. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top and serve with plain white rice. Enjoy!
Absolutely delicious!What a gorgeous curry!