These cheesy chicken fritters with crispy exterior and succulent, juicy interior is the perfect snack of the season! Try these chicken fritters once and it will become your family favorite!
Any chicken snack has always proved to be a winner at our home and these cheesy chicken fritters were no different! When I discovered this recipe of chicken fritters for the very first time on Natasha’s Kitchen blog, I immediately fell for it!
It was in my to-do list for long, but it got pushed down for something or the other. Snacks recipe usually takes a back seat compared to main course recipes and that’s exactly why these cheesy chicken fritters got materialized so late! And I can’t regret more for that!
These chicken fritters are extremely easy to make and comes around within exactly 20 minutes. And if you keep the mixture ready in the refrigerator, your snacks will be ready under 5 minutes, no kidding! So I suggest to make a large batch of these fritters mixture which you can store in refrigerator for good 4 to 5 days.
Whenever you have a craving for tasty & crispy snack, just fry them up and you are sorted! If you have kids at home, that too a little too fussy ones, these cheesy chicken fritters will win them over too! These are that good! Trust me!
To make these chicken fritters, you can surely use chicken breasts as Natasha did and that will be much leaner version. Since I am a thigh-kinda-girl, I used bonless & skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts. But do keep in mind that cooking time for chicken thighs is a little longer.
But I don’t mind compromising on that simply because I find chicken thighs to be more juicy and tender in texture compared to chicken breasts. We need to be patient for enjoying something so good!
These chicken fritters are significantly different from a chicken cutlet or chicken patty because the meat in these is cut into small chunks and not minced.
If you want to use minced chicken, please keep in mind that the texture of the fritters will be quite different, more dense and tightly packed (and I have a recipe for that as well)! Whereas these cheesy chicken fritters are more of melt-in-mouth kinda texture.
To make these unbelievably cheesy and delicious, you will need good amount of mozzarella cheese and a generous dollop of mayonnaise. Mozzarella will create that stunning cheese pull besides keeping the chicken soft & juicy; mayo will add ton of flavors! Total win-win!
Natasha’s recipe calls for fresh dill as the primary flavor, but since I am not too fond of dill, I replaced it with my favorite dried herbs – basil, thyme and oregano. Also for a kick of spiciness for our Indian taste buds, I added a dash of red pepper flakes.
These chicken fritters are shallow fried and not deep fried which makes it a much healthier option than other deep fried counterparts when you are craving for tasty snacks which to be honest happen quite frequently, right? Try these cheesy chicken fritters next time that craving creeps in and thank me later! Enjoy!
- Chicken thighs – 500 gms, boneless & skinless
- Eggs – 2, large
- Mayonnaise – ⅓ cup
- All-purpose flour – ⅓ cup
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese – ¾ cup
- Garlic powder – 2 tsp
- Dried basil – 1 tsp
- Dried thyme – 1 tsp
- Dried oregano – 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes – ½ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp or to taste
- Black pepper – ¼ tsp or to taste
- Canola or vegetable oil for shallow frying
- Cut the chicken thighs into tiny pieces using a sharp knife. You don’t have to mince them but just roughly chop them into 1-cm long pieces.
- Take the chopped chicken in a large bowl and add except oil all the other ingredients to it – eggs, mayo, flour, garlic powder, dried herbs, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Stir the mixture using a spatula really well until all the ingredients are well combined. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- When you are ready to cook, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add about 2 tablespoons of oil. Take about 2 heaped tablespoons of chilled chicken mixture and roll it into a ball. Then place it on the hot skillet and flatten the ball with the back of your spoon to create the shape of a fritter.
- Cook the chicken fritters uncovered on medium-low flame for 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd your pan. If your frying pan is not big enough, cook the fritters in batches.
- After the first side is cooked for 5 minutes & turned golden brown, flip the fritters over and sauté the other side for 3 to 4 minutes more until it turns golden brown too and chicken is completely cooked through. To test for doneness, cut a fritter into half and check if the chicken is completely white inside.
- Cook all the remaining fritters similarly and once done serve them warm with garlic mayo or tartar sauce on the side. Enjoy!