This chicken sausage stew with vegetables is a super meal – a one pot wonder which not only calms a sore throat but soothes all your senses in a chilly night.
This time I loved falling sick! No no, not because I could take couple of days off from work; but because I could reward myself with this extraordinary bowl of warm chicken sausage stew loaded with my favorite chicken sausages and favorite veggies.
This one really proved to be way beyond my expectation and to my surprise my not-so-stew-lover hubby also fell for this chicken sausage stew really badly. He finished his bowl even before me and was looking for more! That’s a sure shot winner for me!
We both like sausages a lot as they are very handy when you need a super-quick meal but want to have something fulfilling at the same time. We generally savor these sausages on their own as we like it best that way but this time my hub asked me to do some experiment with them.
I myself was looking for something warm to soothe my sore throat and this idea of chicken sausage stew came to my mind as an easy experiment as well as savior to my pained throat!
My only concern was that my hub is not a soup or stew lover and it was him who asked to make something new with his favorite sausages. I don’t remember if I had made a stew yet (Yes, I do forget what all I had made in the past because of too much cooking!)!
At least my blog doesn’t have any stew recipe, but soups have made it here quite frequently. So, I had to ensure that I add something special to this chicken sausage stew which would entice my hub’s taste bud.
Off late I am liking the Italian seasoning a lot. You might have noticed me adding Italian seasoning in many of my recent dishes. This seasoning has proved to be a real surprise for me as I never expected that something as simple as a seasoning could make a dish taste so much better.
I noticed that we both are loving this new found taste, be it the Italian spiced baked potatoes or the shrimp gnocchi in wine sauce, Italian seasoning rock it all taking it to a new height. It comes in small convenient jars and generally has long shelf life as it’s nothing but a mix of few dried Italian herbs.
If you haven’t tried it yet, do try sprinkling it on your pastas or pizzas, I bet you will thank me for this! This Italian seasoning proved be wonderful yet again in this chicken sausage stew lending it a great flavor.
And since all the flavorful herbs are already packed in this seasoning, you don’t need to remember all the different herbs or juggle with their amount to get the right balance of flavors in your chicken sausage stew; how convenient is that!
The best part of this chicken sausage stew is that it is hundred percent customizable. You don’t need to use the veggies which I mentioned in the recipe. You can use your imagination or get on a pantry cleaning spree which would have left you with some veggies at hand and you are not sure how to use them.
Only avoid those veggies which turns mushy after cooking like eggplant. You can use any vegetable which retains its crunch like some French beans, green peas, cauliflower florets etc. I had chosen my veggies for my chicken sausage stew with the plan of making a one pot meal; so, wanted to make it as filling as possible.
Carrots & potatoes helped me in making a fully satisfying meal and bell peppers added the much-needed color as well as crunch; plus being my favorite veggie, I could not ignore them. Use any vegetable you want to make your chicken sausage stew, but do not skip the Italian seasoning.
So, go ahead and make your own bowl of this warm chicken sausage stew; you really don’t need to wait for a sore throat for this!
- Pre-cooked chicken sausage – 8
- Carrot – 2, small
- Potato – 1, large
- Onion – 1, large
- Green bell pepper – 1, small
- Red bell pepper – 1 small
- Garlic – 6 to 8 cloves
- Italian seasoning – 1 tbsp
- Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable or chicken stock or water as required (approximately about 6 to 8 cups)
- Chopping is the primary prep of this recipe. Let's start.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Peel and cut the carrots in roundels of about ½ a centimeter thick.
- Peel and cut the potato into 2 cm cubes.
- Peel and mince the garlic cloves.
- Cut the bell peppers into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Fry the sausages in the hot oil until cooked. Take them out and put on an absorbent kitchen towel. Once the sausages are cool enough to handle, cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat the remaining oil in a deep stock pot. Add sliced onion and minced garlic and sauté for couple of minutes. Add potato cubes and carrot roundels and cook them for 8 to 10 minutes until ¾ cooked.
- Next add the bell peppers and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add Italian seasoning and chilli flakes.
- Pour the stock or water making sure all veggies are well inside the liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until all the veggies are cooked through and the stew has thickened a bit. Check and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Now uncover and add the sausages and bring the stew to boil until you get your desired consistency.
- Serve the chicken sausage stew hot with some crusty bread and enjoy!