My take on the classic chicken salad sandwich with my homemade sandwich bread is all with classic ingredients and the result was unforgettably classic!
I was not able to get over my homemade sandwich bread and was not leaving any scope of going ga-ga over it. I am sorry; I can’t help it!
When you are scared of trying something new and finally gather all your courage and take the plunge still unsure of the consequences and then emerge victorious, how would you feel? Exactly that’s what I felt when my sandwich bread came out soft and fluffy, baked to the perfection!
And I had to make something special with this special bread to celebrate my successful bread baking. And what could have been better than a classic chicken salad sandwich for this summer!
Sandwich of any kind is my most favorite food if I have to choose any from the world cuisine. And this is not a new-found-love.
Since the time I got to know that there is this thing called sandwich which is something mysteriously tasty but invisible and packed within 2 slices of bread, I simply fell for it. I don’t have any reasonable explanation.
But that’s that. I am totally in love with sandwich! And this chicken salad sandwich is the best of the lot! Many of our working lunch had been saved thanks to this delicious chicken salad sandwich which not only supplies ample protein but also filled out mind and soul with its delicious taste!
Chicken salad sandwich falls in that category of food which takes minimal fuss and gives maximum taste. While you go through the recipe of this chicken salad sandwich, you will notice that the ingredients are very few and basic which you can find in your pantry on any given day.
So, no exotic shopping or urgent trip to supermarket. Bad news for you, Ms. Shopaholic? But you won’t regret! The best part of this chicken salad sandwich of mine, apart from the homemade sandwich bread of course, (so technically the second-best part) is the home-grown celery! Bam!
How wonderful life can be! But this is totally due to my better half’s hard work. I only love to eat the fruit of his labor when it comes to gardening.
Our kitchen garden is flourishing well in our tiny balcony and the freshest possible celery added to this chicken salad sandwich is a live example of that. If you are not as fond of sandwich as I am, you still can’t afford to miss this chicken salad.
Trust me it is that good. Just serve this chilled salad on a bed of lettuce leaves of your choice and your lunch will be sorted. My chicken club sandwich is my favorite too but this chicken salad sandwich is by far the best I have made till date.
The mayonnaise and Dijon mustard create an amazing combination for the creamy salad dressing; do make sure to chill the chicken salad as it will allow everything marry together and intensify the flavors and finally reward you with the best ever classic chicken salad sandwich for all your hard work. Enjoy!
- White sandwich bread – 8 slices
- Butter – 2 tbsp, soften
- Chicken breast – 300 gms [I used 2 medium chicken breasts]
- Celery stalks – 4, finely sliced
- Red onion – 1, large, finely chopped
- Mayonnaise – 5 tbsp
- Dijon mustard – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Crushed black pepper to taste
- Iceberg lettuce leaves – 1 cup, shredded
- To poach the chicken breasts, put them in a medium sauce and fill it with water till 1 inch above the breasts. This will make sure that the chicken breasts are always submerged inside the water while poaching. Bring this to boil on high heat. Then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is fork tender. Do not overcook. Drain and let them cool.
- Once cooled, cut the chicken breasts into small cubes. Set them aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken breasts cubes, chopped celery stalks and chopped onion.
- Add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a spatula mix everything well to get a creamy chicken salad. Cover it with a cling film and keep in the refrigerator to chill. This will give enough time to the salad to mature and enhance the taste.
- Spread the soften butter on both sides of each bread slices. Toast them on a hot frying pan until crispy and golden brown.
- Arrange four slices of bread on a chopping board. Place few strands of shredded lettuce leaves on each slice. Take 2 tablespoons full of chicken salad for each slice and spread evenly on top of the lettuce leaves. Place few more strands of shredded lettuce leaves and cover the sandwich with another slice of bread.
- Cut each sandwiches into half and serve your chicken salad sandwich with your favorite ketchup and chips! Enjoy!