The light and fresh vermicelli upma is a favorite choice of breakfast in Indian household.
This flavorful yet light vermicelli upma is my savior as I always struggle with breakfast!
Breakfast is one meal which I am unable to cope with since long. Indian breakfast generally comprises of savory stuffs. Though I can still manage with a bowl of sweet porridge or any kind of cereals, my better half simply detests sweet things in the morning! Habit is after all a habit!
I keep on hunting breakfast recipes wherever possible. But the problem is – I do not like to do a lot of cooking in the morning. If I do, I will be so engrossed into it that it will invariably distract me from my official work and I will be in a complete mess!
This one recipe suits my routine perfectly with very less prep work involved in this. It can really be made in flat 20 minutes. I just love this kinda recipe!
This is a popular delicacy from the Southern region of India and thanks to my stay here, I am fortunate to learn their style of cooking. This again reminds me that India has so much variety to offer in terms of food that it never fails to amaze me!
Serves: 2 servings
- Vermicelli – 200 gm
- Cashew nuts – ½ cup
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Fresh curry leaves – 8 to 10
- Asafetida – ¼ tsp
- Onion – 1, small, thinly sliced
- Green chilli – 1, chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Green peas – ¼ cup
- Heat a small frying pan and toast the cashew nuts in hot oil until golden brown. Sprinkle salt and set aside.
- Lightly fry the green peas in the same oil until they soften and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafetida. Let the mustard seeds crackle and curry leaves become crisp.
- Then add sliced onion, chopped green chilli and turmeric powder. Give it a stir and sauté till onions soften.
- Now add the vermicelli, sauté for a minute and stir in 1 cup water. Cover and cook till vermicelli softens, for about 5 minutes. Keep checking every one minute as vermicelli may turn mushy very quickly.
- Add sugar and salt to taste and mix well. Cook till sugar dissolves.
- Stir in the toasted cashew nuts.
- Scatter the fried green peas and serve warm.
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)