The crispy & crispy cabbage fritters give tasty makeover to the healthy vegetable! These cabbage fritters not only look cute but also tickle your taste buds!
I know what you must be thinking! Too many fritters recently, right! Zucchini fritters, cauliflower fritters and now I haven’t even left the poor cabbage alone! And I am happy I didn’t! These crispy and crunchy cabbage fritters are perfect snacks on a drizzling evening. I
f you are planning a house party then these cabbage fritters are an ideal snack too; your vegetarian friends will thank you for this! I am sure there are many out there who do not have very high regards for cabbage and let me confess that even I am one of them.
I am always on the lookout for innovative recipes with cabbage so that I can include this nutritious veggie into our meals.
The idea of this recipe of cabbage fritters came from my dearest hub. He is too fond of fried snacks and was also not very fond of cabbage except of course the spicy cabbage curry.
During our trip to supermarket last week, he was enquiring if I can make anything different with cabbage which he can munch on while cheering for his favorite soccer club. I paused for few seconds to give a quick thought and then gave a vague nod.
Honestly, I was not sure at that time if I would really be able to pull something off which will be worth sharing with you all. Thankfully I could! And that’s precisely why this recipe is making its way here.
I haven’t and won’t ever share anything here with my dear readers which we ourselves didn’t enjoy. I know that might sound very obvious, but still it’s sometimes nice to clarify things. Isn’t it?
These cabbage fritters turned out to be a crowd pleaser and I didn’t have to work very hard for it! I used shredded cabbage mixed with mashed potatoes to give them a body and the crispy outer coating was due to one of my favorite ingredients which is corn flour or what you may know as cornstarch.
Corn flour can really turn things up, be it soups or stir-fries or crispy cabbage fritters! This is one magic ingredient I must say! If you want to serve these crispy cabbage fritters as a party starter, you can prepare them beforehand and just fry them up once your guests start arriving.
But does shredding cabbage sounds dreadful to you especially if you want to serve these to many guests? If yes, then this underrated kitchen gadget i.e. food processor can come handy and really prove to be a life savior for you!
Yeah of course you will now tell me that one can’t buy a gadget only to shred cabbage and I completely agree with you! But a food processor is way more than that!
I am using the sleek yet sturdy Braun Multi-Quick hand blender with food processor attachment from last couple of years and completely addicted to it!
It’s an all-in-one gadget with an immersion blender, a small chopper for nuts and herbs and the primary food processor attachment which takes very less counter space but gives an array of services!
Once you check out all the amazing services it offers, you can’t help but fall in love with it! I do all my meat mincing for meatballs, fine and coarse shredding for stir-fries, slicing for salads, kneading for breads and pizzas, all kinds of chopping and many more activities using this single machine just in a jiffy!
Even if you do or do not love cooking as much as I do, I would still highly recommend to invest in a good quality food processor to help you save time in kitchen. and then you can make these crispy cabbage fritters as frequently as you wish!
- Shredded cabbage – 4 cups
- Boiled and mashed potato – 1 cup
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Grated ginger – 1 tsp
- Gram flour/chickpea flour – ¼ cup
- Cornflour – 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Finely shred the cabbage to make 4 cups approximately. Blanch the shredded cabbage in boiling water for 5 minutes. The cabbage should be almost cooked but still retain a crunch.
- After 5 minutes, rinse the cabbage under cold water and put in a colander to let the water drain out. Then wrap the cabbage in a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Put the dried cabbage in a large bowl and add all the other ingredients. Mix everything thoroughly. The mixture will be dry at this point.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time and incorporate it. Add only that much water until you get a sticky dough. Make small round balls of 1 inch diameter and set aside.
- Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan. Deep fry the cabbage fritters on medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes on medium heat. Take them out and place on a plate lined with absorbent kitchen towel to soak excess oil.
- Serve the crispy & crunchy cabbage fritters hot with hot and spicy ketchup! Enjoy!
I think even the cabbage haters would love these crispy fritters…lovely!
Thanks! I am so glad you liked it! 🙂