There is really something special about these zucchini fritters; they are crunchy, flavorful and so full of greens! The chickpeas give additional bite to it which is simply delicious!
I was truly overwhelmed to see how the food blogs & food vlogs are raging over the zucchini these days! I got to know that this is the time of year when there is an unending supply of zucchini and so is the rage. Zucchini is not yet very commonly used vegetable in Indian households.
I am familiar with this green veggie as I am always looking for trying out new things and introduce new ingredients into our diet. The zucchini and mushroom quiche which I made a while back was loved by everyone in my family.
So, I had to take this opportunity for trying a new zucchini recipe this time what could be better than the crispy & flavorful zucchini fritters!
After going through zillions of zucchini fritters recipe on net, I developed my own version. After a couple of trials of mix-n-match of various ingredients, I arrived at the final zucchini fritters thingy which suits our liking. But guess what! We didn’t just like these zucchini fritters; we loved them like crazy!
They are so flavorful that even if you are not accustomed with this veggie, you will instantly fall in love with this green goodness! The addition of chickpeas takes these zucchini fritters to a different level all together! Trust me on this and give it a try; you will be glad that you did!
Zucchini has high amount of water content; hence to make crispy zucchini fritters, it is essential to squeeze out all water from it after you grate them. This will ensure that your zucchini fritters come out crispy & crunchy as water is the primary reason behind soggy fritters of any kind.
Also, after making the batter, do not let it sit for long; that will let the zucchini leave more water even after you have squeezed out all the water in the beginning.
Above tips are from my experience as I did both the mistakes first time and ended up with soggy and totally disastrous zucchini fritters after which I had to do them all over again.
Fritters in general is a very common stuff in Indian cooking. Popular ones in this segment are coriander fritters, cauliflower fritters, onion fritters, potato fritters, eggplant fritters and the list will go on and on!
I guess there is a global liking towards fried foods since this cooking technique adds extra crunch and flavor to the boring veggies and make them delicious. And we are all for crunch; there is no two ways about it, right?
I have few more fritter recipes coming up which are our family favorites. So, stay tuned; I bet you won’t wanna miss this! Until then, whiz up these crazily addictive chickpea zucchini fritters and as always, enjoy!
- Zucchini – 2, medium
- Chickpeas – 200 gms
- Onion – 1, medium, thinly sliced
- Mint leaves – ¼ cup, roughly torn
- All-purpose flour – ½ cup
- Cornflour – ½ cup
- Egg – 2
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- All spice – 1 tsp, crushed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Coarsely grate the zucchini using a box grater or a food processor. Wrap the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much water as possible from the grated zucchini.
- Soak the dry chickpeas in water preferably overnight or at least for 4 hours. Then boil them in salted water until tender but still have a bite. Alternatively you can use canned chickpeas also. Drain and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, combine together grate zucchini, chickpeas, sliced onion and mint leave. Give few quick stirs to mix.
- In another bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, cornflour, eggs, milk, paprika, crushed all spice, salt and pepper to taste and make a smooth homogeneous mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl of zucchini and mix everything thoroughly. If the mixture still looks too watery add more cornflour.
- Heat olive oil in a shallow frying pan. Form ¼ cup patties of zucchini-chickpea mixture and place on the frying pan once the oil is hot. Cook them on medium heat for 2 minutes each side or until they are golden brown.
- Take them out once they are all cooked. Serve the stunning chickpea zucchini fritters hot with some sour cream topping! Enjoy!