Crispy and crunchy fritters made with drumsticks leaves are one of those regional delicacies which transports me back to the homely comfort of my childhood!
No! Not again! Yes, please!
I can’t help it! I know it’s an overload-of-fritters phase in full swing and I just can’t get over it! We are just so fond of these stuffs that I am really not able to understand how to stop sharing these cuties with you all!
Even if you are no too much into fried stuff, they are worth a try and of course I am not asking to have these every day.
These particular fritters made of drumstick leaves are very popular in my native region. If you are not familiar with drumstick (vegetable), then let me give you a quick context. Drumstick looks like a long bright green stick and it is used in curries and more in all over India. The leaves of these drumsticks tree is used to make these fritters and they taste absolutely awesome.
But I understand that this is very region specific; so I have a wonderful substitute for this. Wanna take a wild guess?
Okay I am telling you the alternative which is very common all over the world!
You can make the same fritters using fresh coriander leaves which is also called cilantro in some places. It will be equally delicious. You just have to use the equal amount of cilantro leaves in place of drumstick leaves. Though the cilantro stalks are very flavorful, you can skip them in this recipe; but save them for something else like a coriander chutney!
Whichever leaves you use, just chop them finely using a sharp knife so that you get an even batter. As the chef’s say, nothing is worse than a blunt knife in the kitchen; so make sure you have a good quality knife for all your chopping needs. I recommend Victorinox kitchen knife.
We tea lover Indians always need some munchies with our smoking cup of tea and these drumstick leaves fritters are ideal companion. Keep the batter ready and fry a batch up while the tea is brewing!
With that I am signing off for today, yeah of course only after handing over the recipe to you. I have many wonderful stuff lined up to be shared with you all and I will be back very soon with more lip smacking ideas which I bet you won’t wanna miss for anything! So why don’t you subscribe to my blog so that I can deliver my recipes directly to your mailbox making sure you don’t miss any? See you soon!
- Drumstick leaves – 2 cups, tightly packed
- Onion – 1, large,
- Gram flour / chickpea flour – 2 tbsp
- Rice flour – 3 tsp
- Paprika – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil to deep fry
- Chat masala or freshly crushed black pepper to taste (optional)
- Water as required
- Chop the drumsticks leaves coarsely. Finely chop the onion.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Now add water one spoon at a time. Just add enough water to make a sticky batter; do not make it too thin.
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a deep frying pan to be able to deep fry the fritters.
- While the oil is getting hot, take one tablespoon of the batter at a time in your damp hands and make a ball. Then flatten it by lightly pressing between the palms.
- Once the oil is very hot, reduce the temperature to medium and drop the fritters one by one. you may have to fry them in batches; do now overcrowd the frying pan.
- Once the fritters turn deep golden brown, take them out with a slotted spoon and place on an absorbent kitchen towel to soak excess oil.
- Sprinkle with some chat masala or freshly crushed black pepper and serve hot!