The super-buttery and moist vanilla pound cake is undisputedly the best cake I have ever made and this is one cake which I can make while blindfolded!
Summer is making its entry with full enthusiasm which is making me edgy. If you are not familiar with Indian summer, consider yourself lucky! But it’s just the start and the worst is yet to come! As the temperature soars, my irritation level hikes and I don’t like that at all! You might be wondering about what’s the connection between the summer, my mood and this vanilla pound cake! The answer is very simple. If anything can soothe my mind and cool me down, then that is this superb vanilla pound cake! I honestly love to call it a super cake! I have made this cake at least ten times and not even a single time this vanilla pound cake has disappointed me.
Trust me; every time I take a bite of it, I thank myself for finding this fail-proof recipe. This vanilla pound cake has a rich buttery texture with a golden-brown crust. As soon as you take the first bite, all your senses will go on a joy ride and you will love every moment of it! This is so delish that you won’t have to worry about how long you could store it since it will not last long after you cool it down. This vanilla pound cake is the best-loved cake in my family starting from my husband, in-laws to my mom and dad!
I read on net that the reason this cake is named ‘Pound’ cake because the original recipes contained one pound of butter, one pound of sugar, one pound of eggs, and one pound of flour. Though the proportions have changed with time, but the cake texture still remains beautifully soft, rich and moist. I love this vanilla pound cake as it is; but you can indulge yourself by adding a dollop of whipped cream on top or a light dusting of icing sugar.
This vanilla pound cake is essentially baked in a loaf pan because this cake rises quite high which makes the cake texture fluffy and soft at the same time. So it is advisable to use a loaf pan only for this recipe, else the outcome may not be as delicious as you expect. If you still can’t get a loaf pan, you can use other cake tins and let me know if you face any difficulty. After you bake this vanilla pound cake for the very first time, I can bet you will be asked to bake it over and over again!
- Eggs – 3, large, at room temperature
- Milk – 3 tbsp, at room temperature
- pure vanilla extract – 1 & ½ tsp
- Cake flour/All-purpose flour – 150 gms (1 & ½ cup)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Granulated white sugar – 150 gms (3/4 cup)
- Unsalted butter – 185 gms (13 tbsp), at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) and place rack in center of oven.
- Butter or spray with a non-stick vegetable spray, a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and butter or spray the paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, place the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar – and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds or until blended.
- Add the butter and half of the egg mixture that you prepared. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Then bear for about one minute on higher speed to aerate and develop the cake's structure. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add the remaining egg mixture, in 2 additions, beating about 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the egg well into the batter.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the pre-heated for about 55 to 65 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If you find the cake browning too much as it bakes, cover with a piece of lightly buttered aluminum foil after about 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on a lightly buttered wire rack.
- Serve the cake little warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream for that ultimate pleasure! Enjoy!