Chicken and mushroom stir fry is a universally popular dish which is extremely easy to make & superbly delish and that makes it an ideal weeknight dinner!
Stir fry recipes are always on the top of trending recipes and for good reasons. They are quick as well as easy to make and extremely tasty. My today’s stir fry recipe which is chicken and mushroom stir fry is an absolute classic as the killer combination of chicken & mushroom always turns out to be super successful. This is popular worldwide and have passed the test of time with flying colors simply because of the killer combination of chicken & mushrooms. Chicken and mushroom stir fry is my ultimate favorite among all the stir-fries I have tried till date primarily because I get the best of both worlds i.e. chicken as well as mushrooms. For the stir fry sauce, I like to keep it pretty simple with some basic flavor combination. The sauce I make for this chicken and mushroom stir fry recipe has the right balance of saltiness, sourness, sweetness and heat with none of them being too overpowering.
This chicken and mushroom stir fry is kind of a comfort food served with plain rice but this one can play multiple roles. I make my chicken and mushroom stir fry with minimal sauce as I like it that way. This semi-dry version of chicken and mushroom stir fry can also serve as a good starter before a fancy meal at home. If you want to serve this stir fry with rice, add some cornstarch slurry at the end and about half a cup of water. Cornstarch slurry is nothing but a teaspoon of cornstarch mixed in half a cup of water. This will make some thick sauce in your chicken and mushroom stir fry which tastes great with rice and makes a complete comfort meal. I love such easy wholesome meal ideas which makes our weeknight somewhat easy. Since my recipe of Healthy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry received a lot of love from you guys, I planned to share this chicken and mushroom stir fry one as we are hooked to this one too!
Any recipe with chicken and mushroom is a sure showstopper at my home. Me and my chicken-loving hub are very fond of mushrooms too. When these 2 favorite ingredients come together, we know something good is bound to happen. Same goes for this chicken and mushroom stir fry which proved to be an absolute kick-ass dish; the crunchy bell peppers, which makes the dish superbly colorful, are simply the icing on the cake! We do have quite busy lives with strict morning routines to follow each weekday. Once we are back home, almost drained, we hardly could think of preparing some lavish dinner. Those are the times when recipes like this chicken and mushroom stir fry come in handy. You must be wondering how do I gather the energy to do all the chopping involved in stir fry recipes like this chicken and mushroom stir fry.
Well, to be honest, I do some pre-prep ahead of time like keeping the mushrooms cleaned & sliced, bell peppers all prepped up and transferring the frozen chicken breast to the refrigerator section in the morning so that when I am back, it would be almost thawed and ready to use. I also keep a good amount of minced garlic & grated ginger refrigerated as my recipes are never complete without these aromatics and as you know that prepping them takes up significant amount of time; plus they are kind of messy especially when you are pressed for time. We busy women of today’s era have to help each other with such tips & tricks that we employ to make our lives a bit easier and relaxing, don’t you think so? I am more than curious to know your tricks & tips which would help me grow further as there is no end to self-development, right? So, it’s your turn now!
- Button mushrooms – 200 gms
- Chicken breast – 2, boneless and skinless
- Corn flour/cornstarch – 2 tbsp
- Light soy sauce – ¼ cup
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Green chili sauce – 2 tbsp
- White vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 inch piece, minced
- Garlic – 8 to 10 cloves, minced
- Dry red chili – 2
- Green onion – 5, green & white parts separated
- Red bell pepper – ½ or 1 small (about ½ cup of sliced red bell pepper)
- Green bell pepper – ½ or 1 small (about ½ cup of sliced green bell pepper)
- Vegetable oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Wipe clean the button mushrooms to get rid of all the dirt. Do not rinse mushrooms. Slice them thinly and set aside.
- Slice the chicken breast into 1 inch long pieces. Take them in a bowl and add half a teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon of black pepper and 2 tablespoons of corn flour (cornstarch). Mix them well with a spatula ensuring all chicken pieces are coated well with the corn flour. Set them aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together light soy sauce, brown sugar, green chili sauce and vinegar. Whisk them well to make a uniform sauce and set it aside until required.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan and add the chicken pieces. Stir fry the chicken pieces making sure they do not stick to each other. Sauté them for 10 to 15 minutes on medium-low flame until they are golden brown and cooked through. Take them out in a bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the same frying pan. Then add the sliced mushrooms and stir fry them until they are completely cooked. This would take about 10 to 15 minutes on medium-low flame. Season the mushrooms with salt to taste and stir well. Then take them out in a bowl and set it aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the same pan and add the minced ginger and minced garlic along with dry red chilies and white parts of green onion. Saute them for couple of minutes on low.
- Then add the chopped green and red bell peppers. Stir fry them on high for 5 minutes until the peppers turn little soft.
- Now pour in the prepared sauce and give a good stir. Let the sauce come to a boil.
- Finally add the cooked chicken and sautéed mushrooms and stir fry on high for 2 more minutes or until the sauce thickens. Check and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with greens of green onion and serve hot with rice.