Tomato chutney is a traditional Indian condiment which compliments spicy and flavorful Indian dishes and balances the wholesome flavors of the entire meal!
Finally, there is something to uplift my mood in gloomy days! This delicious looking tomato chutney is made of these gorgeous looking red tomatoes which have grown in our very own kitchen garden!
Can you believe it! I am simply overjoyed! Harvesting fresh food from your very own balcony garden feels divine, trust me!
These tomatoes not only look so fresh, they are also free from all kind of chemicals as we only use organic fertilizers.
These tomatoes are the stars of our garden! Even in pots, the amount of produce is highly commendable.
To enjoy the best flavor of these home-grown tomatoes, I decided to make tomato chutney which is a condiment particularly in Bengali cuisine.
Tomato chutney is served at the very end of the meal but just before the dessert in a typical seven course authentic Bengali meal.
The sweet & sour taste of tomato chutney gives the final finishing touch to a rich Bengali food platter.
When you make this classic Bengali tomato chutney with super-fresh home grown tomatoes, it tastes even better! You should start growing tomatoes at home and see the difference in taste yourself.
Before we were rewarded with these gorgeous goodies, the weather was keeping my mood low! It was gloomy since many days and I was eagerly waiting for bright sun.
Sunny weather makes me feel good. My husband was going crazy with such melancholic weather especially because his plants do not get enough sun!
Though I am not much into gardening myself, I reap all the benefit of his hard work. And it’s really fun to have tomatoes, chilies, all kind of herbs like basil, mint, celery, parsley, curry leaves readily available in your very own garden and that too in their freshest form! Doesn’t it?
Next is green chili which is also giving tough competition to the tomatoes and I need to think about how to use such abundance of green chilies! For today, let’s focus on tomatoes.
This variety of tomato is quite sweet, so we would require very little amount of sugar in our tomato chutney.
You might need to adjust that as per your taste and liking The typical taste of tomato chutney is sweet-tangy-spicy all combined together and I am sure you gonna love it!
- Tomatoes – 300 gms
- Whole black mustard – ½ tsp
- Green chili – 1
- Sugar – 8 to 10 tbsp, depending on the sweetness of the tomatoes you are using
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a wok/skillet. When hot, temper the oil with mustard seeds and broken green chilies. Let them sizzle.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and stir. Add the salt as it would help soften the tomatoes. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the turmeric powder and sugar and mix well. If the tomatoes have dried up, add half a cup of water.
- Stir will and let the sugar dissolve completely. Bring the chutney to your desired consistency by boiling off excess water on high heat.
- Done! Serve the tomato chutney at the end of the meal to finish off the palate! Enjoy!
Liked the recipe? Let us know!