Looking for a new variety of crispy chicken wings which are finger-licking-good? These chili ginger chicken wings baked in oven are just the right answer to your hunt!
Chicken wings are undoubtedly my most favorite finger food! You can easily guess that looking at the number of chicken wings recipes I have shared over the years. Insane, right? I know!
That makes me realize that I should actually create a chicken wings recipe round-up for your easy reference! To add to my wings recipe repertoire, I have another winner for you today!
These chili ginger chicken wings are really crazy-addictive wings which are baked to perfection and then glazed with the hot chili sauce having the gingery kick! The combination of chili & ginger is what makes these simple oven baked chicken wings epic!
I have many baked chicken wings recipe here in my blog and it’s really tough to choose a favorite among them. I simply fall in love with each one I make and think that’s the best so far! Then my opinion changes at the very next one!
These chili ginger chicken wings are no exception at all! Though, I will be honest, I wasn’t sure in the beginning! Let me tell you why! The recipe I followed used a readymade chili ginger sauce but I didn’t have any sauce even closer to it with respect to flavors!
Hence I had to put my experimentation cap on and come up with my own homemade chili ginger sauce using mix-n-match! For the chili part of it, I used Schezwan sauce which is anyway our favorite sauce, so that part was easy.
For the gingery kick, I added freshly grated ginger and it worked just perfect! No sauce is complete without the tartness factor in it; hence comes the vinegar! And to round everything up with mild hint of sweetness, I added tomato ketchup and sugar. Voila!
The homemade chili ginger sauce turned out pretty amazing! The best part is that you can play around with flavors and come up with your own version of this epic sauce. Instead of Schezwan sauce, you can use any other hot sauce too.
We don’t like sweetness much in our savory dishes, so we kept it minimal. If you like the sticky sweet flavor, you can add about a tablespoon of honey as well which will add a shiny glaze too to your chicken wings!
These chili ginger chicken wings are really great party starter! There is hardly any step other than baking the chicken wings and making the sauce while the wings are baking. Then simply toss them in the sauce and serve!
I know that there are hardly parties these days, but I would recommend you make these scrumptious finger food for yourself and enjoy them with your favorite movie on Netflix while relaxing on the couch!
Just ensure to make a big batch as they vanish pretty quickly! Enjoy!
- Chicken wings – 500 gms, each cut into drumette & wingette (discard the wing tips)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Canola/vegetable oil – 2 tsp
- Ginger – 2-inch piece, finely grated
- Schezwan sauce – ¼ cup
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp (preferably brown sugar)
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Scallion/spring onion – 1 stalk to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 120 C / 250 F and place the rack at the center of the oven. We will first bake the wings at lower temperature to retain their internal juiciness; later we will bake them in a very hot oven to make the exterior crispy.
- Cut each chicken wing into drumette, wingette and wing tip. Discard the wing tips or save them for making chicken stock.
- Wash and pat dry the drumettes and wingettes thoroughly using kitchen towel. Transfer them to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle baking powder and salt over the chicken wings and toss them well to nicely coat each wing on all sides.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a grilling rack on top of it. Place the chicken wings over the grilling rack in a single layer.
- Bake the wings in preheated oven at 120 C for 30 minutes. Then take them out and flip each wing over. Turn up the oven temperature to 200 C / 400 F.
- Return the wings to the hot oven and bake them for another 20 to 25 minutes or until they turn crispy and golden. Take them out and set aside while you make the chili ginger sauce.
- Heat the oil in a wok and once the oil is hot, add grated ginger and stir fry on high for 1 minute. Then add all the other ingredients – schezwan sauce, tomato ketchup, sugar and vinegar. Since all the sauces are quite salty, I didn’t add any additional salt.
- Stir all the ingredients to mix them thoroughly. Do a taste test and adjust seasoning only if needed.
- Now add the oven-baked crispy chicken wings to the wok and stir & toss continuously to evenly coat each chicken wings with the epic chili ginger sauce.
- Once all the wings are fully coated with sauce, turn off the heat. Transfer the chili ginger chicken wings to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle freshly chopped green onion and sesame seeds on top and enjoy the delicious oven baked chicken wings with your favorite drink! Enjoy!