Zucchini cheddar bread is one of those quick breads which you would love to make over and over again not only because it is easy to make but also in incredibly addictive! Zucchini at its best!
Zucchini cheddar bread is something new to me! Anything new in cooking always excites me and when it is a bread kinda thing, excitement is of another level! Hence it took me two seconds to lock this recipe for the zucchini lying in my refrigerator!
I had no idea what a zucchini cheddar bread would taste like. I was imagining a savory kinda bread with smooth cheesy texture; but honestly I was a little skeptical as well about how zucchini will play along with the bread texture.
Thankfully my skepticism was put to rest as soon as I sliced through the bread and the knife glided through the zucchini cheddar bread like a block of soft butter! I fell in love with this latest creation of mine immediately!
It’s been long that I have made any zucchini recipe! We both like zucchini quite a lot but thanks to the extra-ordinary situation we are in, I hardly buy veggies these days as it feels more hassle to cook veggies than chicken or seafood.
I prefer the quick cooking chicken dinner which are generally one pot recipes for my weekday meals. I bet you will love my chicken pasta with tomato and basil which I also have named as weeknight chicken pasta as it comes around super quick!
Anyways, coming back to zucchini! While browsing through veggies on my online grocery app, I got tempted to buy this summer vegetable and ordered couple without thinking much of what to make of them!
Once they arrived, my search for a new & exciting zucchini recipe began. After significant hours of scrolling through Pinterest smart feed, I finally zeroed in on this savory zucchini cheddar bread as anything which reads ‘bread’ draws my heart instantly!
While searching for zucchini bread, I realized that the sweet zucchini bread with nuts or choco-chips is more popular and frequently prepared than the savory version of zucchini bread.
But my heart went out to the cheesy & savory zucchini bread with all the intensity and I had to give in! Hence finally came out the hot & cheesy zucchini cheddar bread right from my beloved & mighty oven!
For this size of zucchini bread which is about 10 inches long, you will need a medium size zucchini. If you are buying from farmers’ market on your own, then get the zucchini which is firm and dark green in color.
Since I am making all my grocery shopping online these days, I have to reply on the mercy of my online retailer. Mostly they provide good quality products, but you never know when they would push something crap.
Once you have your zucchini, all you need to do is to grate it using the coarse grating side of your box grater or any other hand-held grater which has coarse grating blade. Don’t use a fine grater as zucchini will lose all its texture if grated too fine.
I chanced upon this recipe of zucchini bread on Vijaya Selvaraju’s YouTube channel and among many other recipes, this one stood out due to its simplicity and at the same time it looked superbly tempting!
Since I was making this zucchini cheddar bread for the very first time, I didn’t want to follow any over-complicated recipe. Vijaya’s zucchini bread looked very promising and easy to recreate in my own kitchen.
The recipe of zucchini cheddar bread demands the standard ingredients like any other quick bread containing vegetables. It is an oil based bread which keeps it soft and moist from inside for 3 to 4 days.
If you have left over, then do refrigerate your zucchini cheddar bread as any such baked goodies with veggies in it tend to spoil quickly if left under room temperature. You can keep it for a week if refrigerated.
While serving, just warm a slice in microwave or you can even toast it with butter on a griddle or frying pan. This zucchini bread is a great option for healthy breakfast which is tasty as well.
If you want to take the zucchini bread a notch up, then serve it as a side with your favorite roast chicken & gravy where you can soak up the beautiful gravy with your zucchini cheddar bread and it makes a heavenly combination to rejoice! Enjoy!
Looking for more quick bread recipes? Check these out
- Zucchini – 1 (big enough to have 1 cup grated zucchini)
- All-purpose flour – 1 & ½ cups
- Cheddar cheese – 1 cup, grated
- Baking powder – 1 tbsp
- Egg – 2, at room temperature
- Milk – ½ cup, at room temperature
- Olive oil – ¼ cup
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Green onions – ¼ cup, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180 C / 350 F and place the wire rack at center of the oven.
- Brush all internal sides of a loaf tin with butter. Set it aside.
- Thoroughly wash and dry the zucchini and cut the head off. Then grate it using the coarse grating side of a box grater.
- Now squeeze out as much water as possible from the grated zucchini by pressing a handful at a time between your palms. Once the entire grated zucchini is squeezed, you should be left with about a cup of grated zucchini.
- Take a bowl and whisk together flour, salt, black pepper and baking soda in it until well mixed.
- In another large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and olive oil. Stir in grated zucchini making sure that it’s distributed evenly.
- Next add in dry ingredients mixture. Now mix wet & dry ingredients using a spatula until no white streaks of flour is visible.
- Then add grated cheddar cheese & chopped green onions and fold carefully to evenly distribute. Do not overmix – stop as soon as all the ingredients look evenly distributed & mixed up.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin and smoothen the top using the back of a spoon or an offset spatula. Bake your zucchini bread for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once the bread is baked, let the loaf pan cool down for 10 minutes on a cooling rack before de-molding.
- After about 10-15 minutes, run a knife around all sides of the zucchini bread to ensure it’s not sticking to the pan. Then take out the zucchini bread out of the loaf pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Once completely cooled, cut your cheesy zucchini cheddar bread into slices and enjoy!