Crispy outside and cheesy inside, this cheesy hot dog on a stick is dangerously addictive! Make ample and see them vanish instantly!
Here is another fun video recipe for you guys! The cheesy hot dog on a stick is just amazing and everyone will like it to bits – be it kid or adult! It’s super crispy on the outside and as soon as you take the first bite, the melty cheese wrapping the hot dog inside, will melt down your heart so much so that you will start loving the person who shared this recipe with you – i.e. me! Yay!
I was looking for a new kind of recipe and stumbled up the recipe of corn dog which seemed to be quite popular on net. Adding the slice of cheese takes it just to another level and you won’t ever think of skipping it in your corn dog once you try this version. Choice of cheese it totally up to you – try it with a slice of cheddar or even with regular processed cheese.
I believe there is quite a bit of difference as well as similarity between hot dog and sausage, but I was not aware of it earlier and was using the terms interchangeably since they are so similar in appearance. The major difference between the two which I have zeroed down to is that the sausages are mostly prepared and sold in casings which need to be removed before consuming; whereas hot dogs do not have any such casings. Any expert comment will be very much appreciated here to enlighten my view on hot dogs and sausages!
The reason I brought up this topic of difference between hot dog and sausage is because in my city the hot dogs which we get are mostly sold under the name of sausages. So, I only wanted to clarify that I used the same sausages which we get in any regular Indian super market for making this crazily delish cheesy hot dog on a stick!
I made these cheesy hot dogs the very first time and would like to share some tips which I learned due to the difficulties I faced during the making. Firstly, do not make the batter way before you are ready to fry the hot dogs. That’s because the batter contains a generous amount of baking powder to make things crispy outside and as soon as the liquid hits the baking powder, it is activated. If you leave the batter for a long time, the baking powder will lose its action and you will be left with no crispiness at all.
Secondly, after you dip the cheese wrapped hot dog into the batter and lift it up, hold it there for few seconds to let the excess drip off. Otherwise too much batter around the hot dog will end up being messy in the oil and you will not get a smooth outer coating.
Lastly and very importantly, flash fry the hot dogs very briefly on both sides on medium high heat until they turn golden brown which would take about 40 seconds each side. Do not keep them longer in the oil as it will absorb too much oil making it soggy and forcing the cheese to ooze out the coating.
If you follow these few tips, these cheesy hot dog on a stick will be done in a jiffy and your friends and relatives will make excuses to visit your place once you treat them with these beauties!
- Chicken hot dog / sausage – 8
- Cheese slice – 8
- All-purpose flour – 2 cups
- Baking powder – 1 tbsp
- Egg – 2
- Milk – 1 & ½ cups
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, eggs and milk. Season them with salt and pepper to taste, about a teaspoon each, and whisk well to make a smooth batter.
- Wrap one hot dog with one slice of cheese and insert a bamboo skewer from one end of the hot dog. (If the cheese slice is bigger than the length of your hot dog, trim the cheese slice keeping a bit of top and bottom of the hot dog exposed; this will help in coating the batter evenly.)
- Pour the batter in a tall glass or a measuring cup so that the hot dogs can be dipped smoothly all the way through.
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a deep fry skillet until smoking hot. Then reduce the heat to medium.
- Dip one hot dog at a time into the batter, lift it up and drip off the excess. Using a tong hold the stick and dip it into the hot oil and flash fry until it turns golden brown on all sides.
- Take out and place it on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Serve hot with your favorite ketchup.