This mildly spiced cauliflower and potato stir fry is a favorite household recipe of ours and compliments really well with classic Indian meals. The boring cauliflower is sure to get a makeover here!
Do not underestimate this humble looking recipe! I can testify on how flavorful this cauliflower potato stir fry is. Surprisingly this is one such recipe which I and my hub both had since our childhood which means this is a common one between my mum’s and mum-in-law’s kitchen. How cool is that!
So I decided to get the input from both sides and then add my own style. But this is a very simple recipe and both mum’s versions were remarkably similar. So I decided to stick to the basic!
You see not all recipes are meant to innovate. Some are best left as is to retain its classic stature. So I basically copied it from my mum’s/mother-in-law’s recipe and it worked best.
One thing I would like you to take note of. This recipe reduces a lot once cooked; so you need to start with a considerably large amount of raw veggies. I used a fairly large cauliflower head of about 1 & half kg and 3 very large potatoes which made 4 to 5 servings. Just keep this in mind while prepping and you are good to go!
If you or your family is not too fond of cauliflower then I would insist to give this one a try. This has superb potential to change your POV towards the boring cauliflower. The combination of cauliflower and potato is just perfect and it is neither too spicy nor too mild.
The onion seeds have the right amount of pungency to add a kick to this mildly spiced cauliflower and potato stir fry dish.
This cauliflower and potato stir fry serves as best accompaniment with some Indian flat breads like poori. You can also serve this as a side with the comfort meal consisting of rice and lentils. Together they redefine a new level of Indian comfort food which we just can’t resist!
- Cauliflower – 1 large head of about 1.5 kg
- Potatoes – 3, large
- Vegetable oil – 4 tbsp
- Onion seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli – 2, broken
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cut the cauliflower in small florets of about 1 centimeter length. Peel and cut the potatoes in small cubes of about 1 centimeter length.
- Soak the cauliflower florets in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Add the cauliflower florets and season then with some salt. Fry them on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are almost cooked. Take them out in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and tip in the onion seeds and dry red chillies. Sauté until fragrant.
- Then add the potato cubes to the wok. Add the salt, sugar and turmeric powder. Stir fry the potatoes for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Tip in the fried cauliflower florets and stir fry the potatoes and cauliflowers together on high heat for final 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle some chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve as a side with Indian flat breads.