Chicken reshmi kabab has that deliciously succulent and melt-in-mouth texture which will surely knock you out with its amazing flavors!
It has been a long time that I made kababs at home, hence it was right time to come up with this mind-blowing chicken reshmi kabab to not only make ourselves happy, but also to share the joy of having great food at home! Kababs are indisputably my most favorite food at any given day. I love them all – be it Tandoori chicken or Hariyali chicken kabab or chicken tikka – you name them and I am already hungry! There is something addictively mysterious in the way the meat absorbs the smoky flavors of spices while being grilled in an oven or tandoor to turn into a beautiful kabab. That is just so out of this world! Hence, it was high time I enrich my kabab repertoire with this amazing chicken reshmi kabab! If you haven’t yet tasted chicken reshmi kabab, I really have to pity you because even after being a meat-eater, you have been missing something stunningly delicious!
Let me give you more details about the chicken reshmi kabab so that by the end of it, you will rush to your nearest super market and get cracking in the kitchen! The name chicken reshmi kabab is somewhat intriguing, am I right? Well let me decode it for you! In Hindi, ‘reshmi’ means ‘silky’ and this chicken reshmi kabab is the literal representation of what silky means! Chicken reshmi kabab could not have a better name than this as the chicken becomes literally smooth and succulent like silk! You have to experience this to trust me! My husband loves kababs as much as I do. Umm, is there anyone who doesn’t like kababs? Then let’s feed him/her this chicken reshmi kabab and I bet they won’t be able to turn away from kababs ever again! Me and my hub are big time kabab-lovers; so, for us good kabab is equal to all happy faces!
If you have started making kababs at home very recently and still figuring out how to make yours as good as your favorite Indian restaurants, then just remember this basic thumb-rule – your kababs will be as good as the marination! If you have marinated your chicken kababs with fresh ingredients for good 4 to 8 hours, there is no way that your kababs would fall short in comparison to that restaurant style chicken reshmi kabab! So, don’t be afraid of making kababs at home; trust me it feels great and it’s not really tough to master this technique. Let’s tackle this chicken reshmi kabab today and I promise to bring more in coming days.
The first marinate of this chicken reshmi kabab is mainly to flavor the chicken cubes so that the aroma penetrates deep inside the meat. The vinegar will help break down the fibers and ginger & garlic will infuse the chicken with beautiful flavors. The second marinate is the real taste builder for your chicken reshmi kabab. The almond or cashew paste mixed with thick cream is what gives the chicken that silky smooth texture which is simply mind-blowing. You can use boneless chicken breasts like I did but chicken thighs will also work wonderfully in this one as thighs contain more fat than chicken breasts. If using chicken thighs, the cooking time will increase 10 more minutes each side; but do remember not to overcook the chicken breasts as the meat will turn too tough to eat ruining your entire chicken reshmi kabab experience. Happy grilling!
- Chicken breast – 2, boneless & skinless
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- White pepper powder – 1 tsp
- White vinegar – ½ tbsp
- Almond paste or Cashew paste – ½ cup
- Fresh cream – ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cut the chicken breasts into 2 inch cubes.
- Prepare the first marinade by mixing together the ginger-garlic paste, salt, white pepper powder and vinegar. Marinate the chicken pieces in this mixture and set aside for half an hour in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the almond/cashew paste by soaking around half a cup of nuts in water for an hour and then grinding them into a smooth paste.
- Put the almond/cashew nut paste into a bowl for the second marinade and add the cream, salt and white pepper powder and mix well.
- Add the second marinade into the bowl of first chicken marinade and rub well. Set aside for three hours in a refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto skewers and cook in the preheated oven for ten minutes basting with melted butter. Turn them over, baste with melted butter again and cook the other side for ten minutes more or until charred on the edges and completely cooked through.
- Serve your restaurant style chicken reshmi kabab warm with onion rings and green chutney.