The crunchy baby corn got its makeover to become super delicious crispy Schezwan baby corn which is ridiculously easy to make! Serve it as a party appetizer and you will rock!
It is not very long that I have become fond of baby corn. It was not a common vegetable in my home when I was little. I wouldn’t be wrong if I say that baby corn is quite a new entrant into Indian household and I am happy that it did enter our kitchen to delight us all! I got this packet of baby corns from the supermarket last week to try some new recipe. But with the work pressure soaring, I was not left with much time to do anything elaborate. I was also not ready to let these fresh produces go stale; so, decided to use up at least half of it for some quick snack and hence this yummilicious Schezwan baby corn materialized!
Schezwan sauce is loved by both of us – means me and my husband and with the fresh baby corns, I wanted some sort of quick snack! Hence two plus two equals to four that is the Schezwan baby corn! Baby corn is such a perfect veggie for snack I tell you! It has the right amount of crunch mixed with sweetness. So, the combination of hot & spicy Schezwan sauce with sweet & crispy baby corns has to be a winner! And it did come out as a winner! This Schezwan baby corn served me two purposes – I got the tastiest quick-bite to satisfy my workload cravings and I have got a super easy, super quick, super delicious recipe for you which you will fall in love with!
I am always on the lookout for fun and tasty snacks recipe which I can even double up as munchies for a crowd and this Schezwan baby corn fits the bill perfectly. This is an absolute ideal party appetizer which will delight not only your vegetarian guests but also win over the meat lovers! To make things easier for you if you decide to serve this crispy Schezwan baby corn as an appetizer in your next party, keep the fried baby corns ready beforehand as instructed below and toss them up in the Schezwan sauce just before serving. Trust me, your guests will love you for this!
If you think baby corns are not tasty enough to give this Schezwanbaby corn a try! Take it from a dedicated carnivorous like me – Schezwan baby corn is just to die for and I would keep it at the same level of deliciousness as any other favorite meaty snacks of mine! Still want some non-vegetarian entrees in your party menu? That’s absolutely fine! Delight your non-vegetarian-craving guests (or even your own cravings!) with my crunchy and spicy chilli chicken! This is the best chilli chicken they or you will ever have, I bet! Enjoy!
- Baby corn – 150 gms
- Cornflour – 4 tbsp
- All-purpose flour – 1 tbsp
- Schezwan sauce – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Water as required
- Boil the baby corns in salted water until they are soft but still retain their crunch. Drain and let them cool.
- When the baby corns are cold enough to handle, cut them lengthwise into half. Sprinkle salt over them and give a quick mix.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, mix the cornflour, all-purpose flour and salt. Mix well. Then add water one spoon at a time and mixing it well until you get a thick but pouring consistency batter. Also make sure there is no lump.
- Heat a deep frying pan and add enough oil into it for deep frying.
- Dip each halves of the baby corns into the flour batter and tip into the oil. Flash fry them in batches for 2 minutes each.
- Set the fried baby corns aside on kitchen towel to soak excess oil.
- Now take a wok or skillet and heat 1 tablespoon of oil in it. When the oil is hot, add the schezwan sauce. If the schezwan paste is thick, add some water to loosen it up.
- Then add the fried baby corns and toss them well so that they are coated with the schezwan sauce from all sides.
- Sprinkle some greens on top to garnish and serve hot & crispy Schezwan baby corn with ketchup! Enjoy!