Tofu and sweetcorn snack in rice paper is a super snack which has the wholesome goodness of sweet corns and tofu!
Tofu is a recent addition to my kitchen. When I made it first time couple of years ago, it turned out so bad that I subconsciously promised myself not to have it ever again. But who knew that the same me will fall for the same tofu after two years down the line!
So essentially, the culprit was not tofu, but my preparation which was not even worth remembering. But that was two years back and thankfully I have come a long way in cooking. Now I actually love tofu and prepare something new almost every week. This wrap is the latest snack I made for last Sunday evening – oh that means yesterday! [I can’t believe I am posting this so quickly!] What makes this snack an instant hit is the ‘health’ factor.
Tofu and sweet corn both are packed with super nutrition and there is no use of oil to make these wraps. The combination of these two makes this delicious as well as healthy; you can also have it as a quick fix lunch as these wraps are quite filling. If you don’t like tofu yet and hesitate to experiment with it, give it a shot and I bet you won’t regret! Just make sure you are buying the freshest tofu available and of a good quality.
Tofu and Sweet Corn Wrap in Rice Paper
Serves: 4 Servings
- Rice paper – 20
- Tofu – 200 gms
- Sweet corn – 1 cup
- Rice vermicelli or rice noodles – 1 cup
- Schezwan sauce – 3 tbsp [Add one more if you like more spicy!]
- Sweet chilli sauce/Tomato ketchup – as required
- Salt to taste
- Steam the sweet corn till soft. I pressure cooked them until one whistle on high flame. When the pressure drops, drain and keep aside.
- Cut the tofu in small pieces, approximately 1cm. Boil water in a saucepan and add the cut tofu into it. Boil them on low heat for 4 to 5 minutes until soft.
- Heat the schezwan sauce in a frying pan and sauté for a minute. Add a splash of water and tip in the tofu pieces. [I used the store-bought schezwan sauce; but if you don’t have it handy, replace it with equal amount of any other spicy sauce like ‘hot n sweet’, hoisin sauce etc.]
- Stir-fry tofu on high heat for couple of minutes until all the tofu pieces are coated nicely with the sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Boil water and add the vermicelli/noodles to it. Immediately switch off the heat and drain. Set aside.
- Now take room temperature water in a big bowl. Take one rice paper at a time and immerse in water for 6 to 8 seconds. Remove from water and place on a flat plate or board. Since rice papers are very thin, I used two papers for one roll. So repeat the same process for the second paper and place it on top of the first one. Try to match the edges as much as you can so that it looks one paper only.
- It’s time to fill up the roll! Take one spoon of tofu pieces, around 7 to 8 pieces, 1 spoon full of steamed sweet corn and almost equal amount of soft vermicelli/noodles and place on a straight line on any side of the double-layered rice paper. [Alter the amount of each filling as per your liking – there is absolutely no grammar here!] Spread some sweet chilli sauce/tomato ketchup over the filling.
- Now you have to be very careful while wrapping up the roll as the rice papers are very thin and soft after soaking. First make a small fold perpendicular to the filling so that it seals the bottom of the roll. Then roll up the sides of the filling quite tightly. Once the ends meet, they will stick together if applied a little pressure – very little! Repeat the same process to make more wraps.
- Your tofu and sweet corn wrap is ready! Enjoy your super snack!
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)