Being an avid mushroom lover, this stir fried mushrooms with vegetables is my favorite side with rice or noodles or just on its own and I am sure you will love it too!
Even though I am a meat eater and I love my share of chicken, lamb and seafood, I am equally fond of vegetables and was never fussy about it. Hence it is very obvious that I will love this tasty, quick and easy stir fried mushrooms with vegetables any given day! Mushroom was a late discovery for me as my mom’s Bengali kitchen wasn’t familiar with it but now, I am totally sold to it. Stir fried mushrooms with vegetables is a superb option for your meatless Mondays or any day for that matter and best part is that you can add any of your favorite veggies to the dish and create your signature version of it. But this stir fry dish is all about mushrooms and you have to have a generous portion of it so that it dominates the dish; after all this dish is called stir fried mushrooms with vegetables for a reason!
Mushrooms are really great for stir fry dishes. I used button mushrooms for my stir fry but mostly all mushrooms possess the same properties; they are spongy and delicate in texture which enables them to soak up the flavors of spices & aromatics beautifully. Best thing about mushroom is that it becomes besties with any other veggie way too quickly and compliment them really well. For example, I used crunchy bell peppers and carrots which tasted great with soft button mushrooms. You can use baby corn, broccoli, beans or any other vegetable of your choice and your stir fried mushrooms with vegetables will turn out to be as rocking as mine! Trust me on this!
- Button mushrooms – 400 gms
- Onion – 1 Large
- Carrots – 2 Medium
- French beans – 8-9
- Tomatoes – 1 Large
- Capsicum – 1 Large (If you are using each one of red, yellow and green, then use half of each)
- Spring onion – 1 cup chopped
- Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Red Chili Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Oregano – ½ tsp
- Thyme – ½ tsp
- Parsley – ½ tsp
- Vegetable/Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cut each mushroom into 2 or 4 pieces if big. Thinly slice the onion. Chop tomatoes in small pieces. Chop all other vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- Now heat oil in a frying pan and add onions to it and sauté for 5 minutes on high. Once the onion turns pink and translucent, add the tomatoes and sauté for 1-2 minutes more on high heat.
- Next add all the vegetables except spring onions and sauté them till they slightly change their color or oil separates.
- Now add the chopped button mushrooms and sauté for another 10 minutes on medium-high heat. The mushrooms should start getting browned on the edges.
- Add soy sauce and salt to taste but be cautious as soy sauce also has lot of salt in it. Mix well by stirring continuously.
- Stir fry everything for 5 minutes more or until all the vegetables are cooked through. Now add the herbs – oregano, thyme and parsley. Mix them well with the vegetables.
- Finally add chopped spring onions and give a final mix. Remove from heat and sprinkle some red chili flakes if you want some extra heat! Serve the stir fried mushrooms and vegetables as a side or as an appetizer. Enjoy!