This super healthy chicken soup is full of all goodness from veggies and lean chicken breast. A perfect soother and wholesome meal on a cool night.
I am very much aware that this is not an appropriate season for a chicken soup recipe! But I couldn’t help it! I made this chicken soup only to comfort my distressed throat; but it came out to be so good that I couldn’t resist sharing it.
I do like having my warm bowl of creamy chicken soup on a chilly night; but during this hot summer, a hot soup can only be a compulsion! I was having been suffering from cold since past 2 weeks and nothing is giving any comfort to my sore throat.
So, I made this super healthy chicken soup which proved to be a one-pot wonder lending ultimate pleasure to my disturbed pharynx tube!
I made this chicken soup without any elaborate recipe. Who wants to follow a complicated recipe when you are not feeling well! I had some good ingredients handy and threw in all together to get it done.
I never imagined that this chicken soup would be as good as worth sharing! The combination of chicken, celery, carrot, onion and more did create a magical combination without much effort. Does this sound familiar?
Yes, these are the magical ingredients of making chicken stock at home; I used the same formula to make my soothing chicken soup as I didn’t have any chicken stock handy. Instead of using bone-in chicken pieces which you do while making stock, I used boneless chicken cubes for my chicken soup.
My mom-in-law is on a super-healthy diet due to some minor health disorders. So, she became my companion in sharing up this one-bowl wonder!
Though she is not too fond of soups and rarely makes it, she still finished her bowl of warm chicken soup with a cute smile on her face which gave me a hint that she actually liked it!
This chicken soup is quite light and it’s almost like a clear soup without any cream which makes it exceptionally good for weight-watchers; it is very low in fat but highly fulfilling to stomach. This worked as my mood-lifter too! My sore throat got some relief temporarily which made me feel good for some time.
You can use any of your favorite veggies in your version of healthy chicken soup and you have all the freedom to be creative. This is not a strict recipe but few simple guidelines towards a great tasting healthy soup!
You can make enumerable varieties of chicken soup from this basic recipe. If you are fond of quite thick chicken soup, you can very well add more cornflour slurry at the very end while your soup is simmering.
You can also add some boiled & blended American corn kernels which will thicken the soup instantly, plus will add an underlying creaminess without any fattening cream. Enjoy!
- Boneless and skinless chicken breast – 300 gms
- Carrots – 2, medium
- Green beans – 15, medium
- Baby corn – 6, medium
- Onion – 1, large
- Celery – 4 to 5 stalks with leaves
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Chicken stock – 2 cups
- Olive oil – 2 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cornflour – 2 tbsp
- Cut the carrots, baby corn and green beans into small bite size pieces. Cook them in salted boiling water until soft and thoroughly cooked. Take out the boiled vegetables and set aside. Retain the vegetable stock.
- Cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces. Quarter and slice the onion into thick strips. Finely chop the celery stalks and leaves.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pot and add the garlic paste. Saute for few seconds and add the onions slices.
- Saute the onion till soft for about 5 minutes. Then add the chopped chicken pieces.
- Cook the chicken on medium heat until well-browned. Add the chopped celery and stir well.
- Next add the boiled veggies and the chicken stock. Add 2 more cups of water. You can use the veggie stalk here which you retained from the boiled vegetables.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and let it come to a rolling boil on high heat.
- Then cover and lower the heat and let the soup simmer for half an hour so that all the flavors come together.
- While the soup is simmering, make a slurry by mixing the cornflour with ¼ cup of water.
- Check if the chicken is thoroughly cooked and also adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Add the cornflour slurry and give the soup a final boil on high heat for couple of minutes more.
- Sprinkle some more fresh herbs and serve your healthy chicken soup with breadsticks!
Sathya @Mykitchenodyssey says
Chicken soup seems to be light and delicious priyanka.You got many good recipes,Happy to know you are managing your professional carrier and blogging at the same time.
Thanks Sathya! This blog is my comfort zone where I forget all my professional stress and simply enjoy life with my loved ones! Keep visiting for more good recipes!