These crispy as well as juicy buttermilk fried chicken will end your search for that perfect fried chicken recipe. You will simply be addicted to this damn goodness!
I had heard that buttermilk creates wonder to fried chicken but wasn’t so sure until I tried this sensational thing called buttermilk fried chicken! And man! What a miracle this simple ingredient proved to be!
We are simply hooked to this buttermilk fried chicken now and have giving the take-aways a miss! For me, egg was that magic ingredient till date and now buttermilk is added to that list.
With this one ingredient, the making of fried chicken becomes so easy and simple that it is hard to believe the final outcome would be so delish!
We are just slayed! I had made this magical stuff before our quick trip to our hometown but didn’t get the scope to share the recipe of this buttermilk fried chicken earlier and I could barely wait!
Fried chicken has always been our favorite choice when it comes to take-out as I could never get the fried chicken done perfectly at home but crave for it all the time.
Something or the other always seems to be missing whenever I tried to make it at home. But honestly, the buttermilk has cleared all of my apprehensions with respect to that perfectly golden fried chicken which is super-crispy on the outside and super-juicy on the inside!
Once you make this fried chicken yourself you will agree that you can’t stop yourself from talking about it with friends and family. You will keep insisting them to try this fantastic fried chicken at home and see for themselves how good it is!
You will find many varieties of chicken fry in our blog and each one has got our hearts and they are quite popular with my readers – like that spicy boneless chicken fry which people have loved so much; or the super-popular chicken 65 from the rich South Indian cuisine.
All these Indian-spiced chicken fry recipes were our favorite and now to add to that list we have this oh-so-simple and oh-so-quick buttermilk fried chicken! This fried chicken not only tastes better than any fried chicken place, but also zillion times healthier than them.
You know and have full control on what’s going into your fried chicken which is a great thing and gives a lot more piece of mind; don’t you agree?
This fried chicken has a very crispy outer coating thanks to the double-dredging of chicken pieces, which is nothing but coating the chicken with dry flour first, then dipping it in buttermilk mixture and then again dredging them in dry flour.
This technique creates an amazing coating on the outside of the fried chicken; but you will be simply amazed to see the juiciness inside as soon as you take the very first bite. That’s the magic done by buttermilk.
Buttermilk has the property to break into the fibers of the meat and make it very succulent. It also helps the chicken absorb the flavors giving you very well-seasoned fried chicken at the end. This is a guaranteed fail-proof recipe of fried chicken; try it to believe it! Enjoy!
- Chicken drumsticks – 4 [You can use chicken wings or chicken breasts]
- Buttermilk – 100 ml (1 cup)
- Egg - 1
- Paprika/red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Hot pepper sauce – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 & ½ tsp
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup (approx.)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash your chicken and dry it with paper towels. If using drumsticks like me, make some incisions on the thickest part.
- In a bowl mix the liquid ingredients – buttermilk and eggs – and spices – paprika, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper – and mix really well.
- In another bowl, combine the baking powder and baking soda, and then whisk into the buttermilk mixture until it becomes foamy.
- Take a shallow dish and spread about 1 cup of flour. Arrange the buttermilk and flour side by side to start dredging the chicken.
- First dredge the chicken in the flour on all sides, then dip into the buttermilk mixture and make sure it's coated well all around. Then again dredge the chicken in flour one more time, then place the chicken on a plate. Repeat the same process with all chicken pieces.
- In a deep frying pan, heat enough oil so that the chicken remains mostly immersed into the oil while frying. When the oil is smoking hot, reduce the flame to medium and put the chicken into the oil. Do not put too many pieces at once as they may stick together. Also too many pieces will reduce the temperature of the oil and the chicken won’t be cooked well.
- Fry the chicken for about 10 min on the first side and then flip it over and fry for another 5 to 7 minutes. If you are using chicken breast or wings, they will take less time to cook; so do keep an eye. You have to fry the chicken on medium heat until the pieces are golden brown and crispy.
- Once done, place them on paper towels to soak up the excess oil and sprinkle some salt over it.
- Serve the scrumptious fried chicken hot with your favorite ketchup and some green salad!
very tempting recipe dear!Beautiful shots
Thanks Kushi! Am glad you liked it!