Moist and fluffy vanilla cake taken to the next level with choco-chips toppings!
Since the time I have started baking, I have loved it from the core of my heart. That heavenly aroma of a freshly baked cake, muffin or cookies which fills the whole house is beyond any explanation. I am steady on my way to become a pro-baker one day and that would be pretty soon I vouch! I would suggest everyone to try their hand at baking simply because it feels awesome.
Initially you will need some patience and then practice will make you just perfect. I am trying to motivate you in the same way I motivated my better half to bake a cake for me! How cool is that! And yes, I succeeded! This cake is entirely baked by my dear husband (with my instructions of course!) but I haven’t touched any ingredients. Believe it or not, it came out absolutely perfect – both in texture and taste. He himself was surprised to see the final result!
This was his third or fourth trial on baking and since the initial ones were not worth mentioning, he was pretty reluctant to even take another chance. But you know, I am quite persevering (read “nagging”) in nature and somehow convinced him to give a last try. Thankfully all went well this time and we got a super yummy vanilla cake with choco-chips topping.
This is a simple cake and does not take a lot of effort. I would suggest you to start with such basic cakes and gradually move towards the complex ones. This will tend to minimize any mistake that we all happen to do when we start baking. So what are you waiting for folks? Grab your measuring cups and get going!
Vanilla Cake with Choco-Chips Topping
Serves: Makes a 8″ round cake
- Unsalted butter – ½ cup (113 grams) at room temperature
- Granulated white sugar – ⅔ cup (130 grams)
- Large eggs – 3
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Zest of 1 large lemon (outer yellow skin)
- All-purpose flour (Maida) – 1 & ½ cups (195 grams)
- Baking powder – 1 & ½ teaspoons
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Milk – ¼ cup (60 ml)
- Chocolate chips – ¾ cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and line a round baking dish with parchment paper. Smear or spray some oil over it.
- Take the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat them until light and fluffy with a hand mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the lemon zest, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Now it’s time to mix the dry and wet ingredients together. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Ensure the batter is thoroughly mixed and homogeneous.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin and sprinkle the chocolate chips all over the batter.
- Bake in the middle rack of your oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or just until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. [I always prefer to check after every 10 minutes to ensure the cake is not being over-baked. The actual baking time depends heavily on the oven used and not only the temperature. So I suggest you to keep the toothpicks handy and bake your cake until a clean one comes out.]
it looks delish!
Priyanka DK says
Thanks Dina! 🙂