This super easy veggie and shrimp stir fry will give your Asian take-outs a run for its money! This shrimp stir fry comes around in less than 30 minutes and is much fresher & tastier than any take-out version!
If you are stuck at home and missing Asian take out, then I have the perfect recipe for you which you can make at home and satisfy your craving for delicious stir fry! Today’s recipe of veggie and shrimp stir fry is quick to make and is a wonderful option for wholesome meal when served with plain white rice.
Shrimps stir fried with your choice of veggies and the clingy sauce – the combination is simply heart-warming; and guess what? It is totally customizable. You can chose what you like and omit what you don’t! Win-win ha!
I am aware that we are still in a grave situation with respect to Covid and still counting our breathes to come back to normal. We all have our own ways to deal with the current situation to ensure our mental stability and trust me there is no right or wrong in that.
To cope with the impact it has on my emotional well-being, I seek refuge in my work. Due to the same reason, I was diverting my focus away from my blog space; but after re-thinking for a while, I felt that I can somewhat help few with easy to make recipes during this time as good & nutritious food is the need of the hour!
Hence I am back here with another shrimp recipe which is loaded with veggies to fulfil your quota of nutrition. Shrimps are good source of protein; but you can also use it to lure your fussy kid to eat veggies.
Best thing about shrimp recipe is that it takes no time to cook. And when you stir fry veggies on high heat, they also cook fast with all their nutrition being intact. Just make sure to do all the chopping before you light the fire because things move really fast when you stir fry!
Like any other typical stir fry, this veggie and shrimp stir fry is also laced with a glossy sauce which I have kept pretty simply this time – just light soy and tomato ketchup with a tangy kick of vinegar. I like the simplicity of this dish as it brings out the best flavor of shrimps. And veggies!
If you are new to stir frying cooking technique, then this veggie and shrimp stir fry is a good beginner-friendly recipe to start with. This is a no-fuss recipe which doesn’t require a lot of planning. If you have a bag of shrimps in your freezer, you are good to go!
If you are working and also managing a family with kids, I am sure you are way too pressed for time and always on the lookout for quick-cooking recipes with minimal prep-work. I hear your mind and feel you too!
Even though I don’t have kids of my own, I can imagine how hard it would be for working parents to manage both of their worlds in the current situation when office work has increased exponentially for most of us and at the same time kids are demanding more time from parents mainly because their schools are closed.
What can you do to ease out the situation? May be not much but at least take a breather by choosing easy and quick recipes to make for family meal. I have opted this strategy of one pot meals since last few months; it shortens my stay in kitchen without sacrificing our craving and need for good & nutritious food.
It works! So stay tuned for all those easy & soulful recipes which I will feature very soon in this space. Till then, enjoy this veggie and shrimp stir fry and browse the blog to find delicious picks from the existing pool of recipes which are healthy as well as tasty! Enjoy!
- Shrimps – 500 gms, peeled & deveined with tails intact
- Red bell pepper – ½ (about ½ a cup of diced bell pepper)
- Green bell pepper – ½ (about ½ a cup of diced bell pepper)
- Zucchini – 1 small (about 1 cup of diced zucchini)
- Onion – 1, large, cut into chunks
- Garlic – 8 to 10 cloves, finely chopped
- Garlic chives – 2 stalks
- Vegetable/canola oil – 4 tbsp
- Light soy sauce – 2 tsp
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Corn flour – 2 tsp
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Wash the shrimps thoroughly and drain out all the water. Sprinkle pinch of salt & pepper over the shrimps and toss them to coat.
- Prepare all the veggies before you start stir frying – cut each bell pepper into 1-ich dice, cut the zucchini in 1-cm half-moons and cut the onion in chunks.
- Also prepare the stir fry sauce by evenly mixing soy sauce, ketchup, sugar, vinegar, corn flour and half a cup of water in a small bowl. Set it aside until needed.
- Now heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok and let it warm up for a minute. Now add the seasoned shrimps to the wok and stir fry them on medium heat until the shrimps turn opaque; about 2 minutes each side. Then take them out on a plate and set aside.
- Now add the remaining oil to the same wok and once the oil is hot, tip in the minced garlic. Sauté the garlic for 2 minutes on medium until fragrant.
- Next add the onion chunks and stir fry them on medium for 2 minutes or until onion turns translucent. Then add the green & red bell peppers and zucchini. Stir fry them for 10 minutes on medium heat until all the veggies are tender but not completely mushy.
- Now drizzle the prepared sauce, but make sure to stir the sauce once before adding to wok as the corn flour would have settled at the bottom of the bowl by now.
- Add in the sautéed shrimps and continue stir frying the shrimps & veggies on high until sauce is thickened and clings to the shrimps. Check the seasoning and adjust only if needed. Also sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper for a kick.
- Shrimps and veggie stir fry is ready! Garnish with freshly chopped garlic chives & toasted sesame seeds and enjoy!