Chocolaty goodness with moist banana bread is the blissful match made in heaven – you gotta try this chocolate chips banana bread now! There cannot be a better time than this for rewarding yourself with this ultimate pleasure!
I am sure you have couple of bananas lying on your fruit basket which you never going to eat any more as they have ripen too much to your liking! Why not turn those almost-thrown-out untouchable bananas into something superbly delicious and that too within matter of minutes! Yes, you are right! This stunning banana bread just takes few minutes of mixing and you get rewarded with the most wonderful & moist banana bread you could ever imagine! Sprinkle some chocolate chips into the batter and this already lip-smacking banana bread goes to the next level altogether!
With the whole world under the threat of pandemic and all of us across countries being home-bound, there could be no better time than this to make yourself this homemade goodie. While you see a surge of baking videos appearing across all social media platforms, banana bread has taken the internet by storm as I can see almost everyone is making it! Well, this one truly deserves all these love n care which is why I too could not stop myself from making our share of banana bread during this lockdown! Thankfully making this baby was as easy as a child’s play (which may be the reason behind its immense popularity!) and you too will soon discover that!
If you already have few over-ripe bananas lying on the counter, you are all set to get started with this. I didn’t have any when I planned to make it; so had to make a trip to the supermarket. Banana is one such fruit which you know you will always get your hands on year-round no matter which part of the globe you are from and that’s what makes this banana bread so universal and appealing to everyone! The remaining ingredients are your kitchen staples like flour, sugar, butter, eggs etc; the typical ingredients of a typical cake – you know the drill! If you explore the corners at the far end of your shelfs, I’m sure you will get hold of an overlooked packet of chocolate chips as well! Take a look!
Banana bread is a great option for breakfast; I love it with my morning coffee or even tea. It’s great for kids’ afternoon snacks too, especially with the chocolate chips! Alternatively, you can add chopped nuts in your banana bread. Walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts are great combinations for this moist banana bread adding the right amount of crunch. I would not recommend cashew, almond or peanuts for this one as they seem to be too soft and won’t add the desired crunch which these other nuts would. You can also add a mix of nuts & chocolate chips to get the best of both worlds! However, if you want to keep the nuts out completely just like I did, please feel free as they are not absolutely mandatory for this banana bread!
But, I will be honest with you! I personally feel that chocolate chips are must in this banana bread! It is simply non-negotiable if you want to create the best banana bread ever! Chocolate beautifully compliments the flavors of banana and creates a mind-blowing combination of flavors. To make it more pleasing aesthetically, mix half of the chocolate chips into the batter and sprinkle the remaining half on top after transferring the batter to the bread tin. The chocolate chips on top of your banana bread will shine like pure little gems and will attract everyone towards itself! Once you cut a slice, you will get more share of gems inside!
Let me share few quick tips before taking you to the detailed recipe! Firstly, make sure to use very soft over-ripe bananas, the kind which no one likes to eat on its own. Over-ripe bananas are significantly sweeter than firm half-ripe bananas and that soft & sweet banana is what you need to make the utmost soft, moist and naturally sweet banana bread. Secondly, while mashing bananas, do not use an electric blender or food processor because the powerful & superfast blades the will make the bananas watery and completely change the texture which is required for the perfect banana bread. Use a fork instead as instructed in the recipe below.
I earnestly urge you to give this delightful banana bread a try at home; I promise you won’t be disappointed. This is the right time to take a pause and enjoy the time with your loved ones while relishing such homemade goodies! I have many such stress-free recipes for you to try and bring joy to yourself and to your family! Take a look at my enchanting pumpkin bread recipe and bookmark it for the upcoming fall season! I have also made my own pumpkin puree at home for this by roasting fresh pumpkin in my conventional oven. Trust me, the result was amazing! Just as much as this amazing banana bread! Enjoy!
- All-purpose flour – 225 gms (1 & ¾ cup)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Granulated sugar – 150 gms
- Chocolate chips – ½ cup
- Over-ripe banana – 3
- Unsalted butter – 113 gms (½ cup), melted & cooled
- Eggs – 2, large, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
- Preheat your oven to 180 C / 350 F and place the wire rack at the center of the oven. Generously butter the base and sides of a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and sprinkle some flour in it. Shake the pan so that flour coats the surface all over and then take out the excess flour.
- Peel and mash the bananas in a bowl using a fork until there are no big lumps. Do not use a food processor for this as the powerful churning will make the banana watery and ruin the texture required for perfect banana bread. Set the mashed banana aside.
- In a large bowl, take the all-purpose flour and add sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to it. Whisk everything using a wire whisk to mix everything well. Stir in ¾ of the chocolate chips and give one final mix to evenly distribute the choco-chips. Your dry ingredients are ready.
- In another medium bowl, take the mashed banana and add the beaten eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix everything using a spatula.
- Now make a hollow at the middle of your bowl of dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients mixture. Using a rubber spatula, mix the dry and wet ingredients until they are just incorporated. Do not rigorously whisk the batter or do not even over-mix as that will result in tough banana bread.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan making sure the batter is evenly distributed inside the pan. Smoothen the top using a spoon. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake the banana bread in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The top of the bread will turn beautiful golden brown. But if you see that your cake top is browning too much at around 50 minutes mark, cover the top with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Once the banana bread is completely cooked through, take the loaf pan out of the oven and let it sit on the counter top for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, run an offset spatula or butter knife around the inside edge of the loaf pan to make sure the banana bread is not sticking on any side.
- Take the banana bread out of the loaf pan and place on a cooling rack; let it cook for 30 minutes before serving. Once the bread is cool enough to touch, cut into slices and serve warm. Enjoy!