If you are an herb-lover, then this crispy baked chicken loaded with all aromatic herbs will become your new favorite and the go-to recipe for any weeknight! With minimal prep, you get amazingly crispy baked chicken with truckload of flavors!
I love my oven! Since the time I have started my blog & expanded my cooking horizon, this one appliance has become more & more closer to my heart with each passing day and that too for very good reason!
Today’s recipe of crispy baked chicken is one of those many reasons and you’ll know why! Crispy baked chicken with loads of my favorite herbs – yes that’s today’s recipe which I am gonna share with you all; but trust me this is not just a regular baked chicken!
This crispy baked chicken has a super crispy skin on top which makes it super tasty and incredible flavors of herbs inside that differentiates it from any other baked chicken! Try this once and I bet it will become your new go-to baked chicken recipe!
Baked chicken is our favorite way of enjoying chicken which is why you will find ample baked chicken recipes in my blog. I keep looking for new ways of making baked chicken so that we not only explore more new recipes ourselves, but also keep sharing them with you all!
I am sure you guys will fall in love with this crispy baked chicken as much as we did once you give it a try. There is a trick to achieve the perfect crispiness on these crispy bakes chicken drumsticks & thighs which I will explain shortly and once you master that, you are all set to churn out best ever crispy baked chicken every time!
The blend of herbs that I have used in this crispy baked chicken is of my personal choice. You can skip individual herbs and replace it with Italian seasoning too.
I kept it quite simple and minimal with equal proportion of oregano, thyme and rosemary so that a single herb doesn’t overpower the overall flavor and it turned out just perfect!
The right way to make this crispy baked chicken is to make use of a wire rack to bake the chicken instead of placing them on baking sheet. Place the wire rack over a baking sheet and arrange the chicken pieces on top of the rack in a single layer.
This arrangement ensures that there are gaps around all side of chicken so that hot air can circulate all around and retain the crispiness. Any liquid oozing out from chicken will drip on the baking sheet and keep the chicken dry & crispy.
If you place the chicken on baking sheet the liquid released from chicken will make them soggy at the bottom. When I make Indian spiced baked chicken using a yogurt based marinade, I place the chicken on baking sheet itself as for that recipe outer crispiness is not what I want to achieve.
While making this herb-loaded crispy baked chicken, try using this method I explained above. This will be as tasty as your crispy fried chicken but with almost negligible calories.
But don’t try this with skinless chicken as the meat would become dry; outer skin protects the meat from the dry heat and retain the juiciness. Make this crispy baked chicken this week and let me know how delicious your weeknight dinner was! Enjoy!
- Chicken drumsticks – 6, skin-on & bone-in
- Chicken thighs – 6, skin-on & bone-in
- Dried oregano – 2 tsp
- Dried thyme – 2 tsp
- Dried rosemary – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste (approx. 2 tsp)
- Freshly crushed black pepper – 1 tsp
- Olive oil as required
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/ 430°F and place the wire rack at the center of the oven. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil, then place a grilling rack on top of the lined tray.
- Mix all the dried herbs, salt & pepper in a small bowl and give a good whisk to make a uniform dry mixture.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken drumsticks & thighs using paper towel. Drizzle oil over the chicken pieces and rub on both sides so that oil evenly coats the chicken.
- Now sprinkle the prepared herb mixture on the chicken pieces on both sides and rub them in using hands making sure you get into all the cracks and crevices.
- Arrange the coated chicken pieces on the grilling rack set over the lined baking tray in a single layer. Make sure to arrange the thighs keeping skin side up and for drumsticks the side with the most skin should be facing up.
- Roast the chicken thighs & drumsticks for 45 to 55 minutes until internal temperature reaches 75°C/165°F or juices run clear when pierced in the middle of the chicken using the edge of a knife.
- To achieve extra crispy browning of the skin, change the mode of your oven to broiling for last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking and shift the wire rack to top most level so that chicken comes closest to the heat source.
- Broil them for 1 to 3 minutes keeping a close eye on the oven as it will brown super quick and even a moment’s delay can burn your chicken.
- Take the chicken out and cover it loosely with an aluminum foil and let it rest for 5 minutes. Serve the herbed crispy baked chicken with a cucumber tomato salad on the side. Enjoy!