Try this homemade version of fat and juicy chicken burger and I am sure you are gonna forget about those burger chains!
Making chicken burger at home can actually be more fun than dialing one in! And I only realized it after making my own chicken burger at home for the very first time! Chicken burgers or any burgers for that matter are so conveniently available across globe that I am sure you hardly think about making a burger at home. But what’s harm in being a little adventurous? I urge you to give this a try once and tell me honestly that you didn’t have fun! Making fast food like chicken burger at home comes with its own advantage and I will come to that shortly.
You may be thinking that only because I am a food blogger, I think of making chicken burger at home. That may be true to some extent; but the reason I am sharing it here with you all is to inspire you to make one too! And if you are not a big fan of chicken burger, you can try making my chickpea burger too which is another great take on vegetarian burgers which I am sure you will have fun too making it at home.
I was talking about advantages of making your own chicken burger at home; let me talk in detail about it. I am not trying to convince you at all because I honestly believe that there is no secret behind homemade food being the best no matter how much effort it takes. Even though making chicken burger is unbelievably easy, that’s not the only reason for which one should make a chicken burger at home. Yeah, you can make your chicken patty as fat as you like but there is more to it!
Just imagine the variety of chicken burgers you can make once you know the basic and all suited to your own liking. You can make a spicy version or a sweet and tangy version. You are free to add as much or as less cheese you want and no one is gonna charge you a bomb for that! Don’t like tomatoes in your chicken burger? Don’t add it! You are free to use freshest of ingredients available in market. See how simply you can customize your food when you go the homemade food route. So, try giving that delivery boy a break and start cooking up a storm in your own kitchen and this chicken burger recipe is a very good option to start with!
- Chicken breast – 150 gms [2 medium sized pieces will do]
- Onion – 1, small
- Garlic powder – ½ tsp [Replace with 2 tsp of garlic paste if you don’t have garlic powder]
- Paprika powder – 1 tsp
- Egg – 3
- Breadcrumbs – 1 cup or more as required
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- Burger bun – 4
- Cream cheese spread – as required
- Lettuce leaves – 8 to 10 leaves
- Black pepper to taste
- Mince the chicken breasts in a food processor. If you don’t have one, you can choose to buy the minced chicken itself. I always prefer to grind the chicken on my own.
- Grate the onion and add it to the mince. Add garlic powder, paprika, 1 beaten egg and salt to taste and give it a good mix so that everything combines well.
- Now add breadcrumbs, 1 spoon at a time and give it a good mix. Add more breadcrumbs until the mince gets to a sticky dough-like texture so that you can easily form a patty.
- Now beat the remaining 2 eggs, keep it in a medium sized bowl and add a pinch of salt. Spread the breadcrumbs in a plate.
- Heat oil in a frying pan [You can use a grill pan too if you have one!]. Make 4 to 5 patties from the chicken mince mixture depending on the thickness you like.
- Dip a patty in the beaten eggs and then lay it on the breadcrumbs. Coat both the sides with breadcrumbs and then place it on the hot frying pan.
- Fry the patties for 5 to 6 minutes each side on low heat till they turn golden brown.
- Once done remove the patties from the pan and put on kitchen towel to absorb excel oil.
- To assemble the burger, first cut the buns into two and toast them lightly on the grill pan or skillet.
- Now place the bottom portion of the bun on a plate, spread a thick layer of cream cheese spread over it and arrange few torn lettuce leaves.
- Next place one chicken patty on it, spread another layer of cream cheese and few more pieces of torn lettuce leaves.
- Now cover the chicken burger with the top half of the bun and insert a satay stick through the middle to fix everything.
- Serve the delicious chicken burger with tomato ketchup! Enjoy!