Roasting being my favorite way of cooking and enjoying chicken, this Portuguese inspired roast chicken proved to be an instant winner! This newly tested recipe has established its place permanently in my recipe repertoire!
It’s been long that I am missing in action on the blogging front! But trust me I have real valid reason for that! Something very special was going on at the back end! I will come to that in a bit; first let’s talk about what I am back with today!
I stumbled upon this recipe of Portuguese inspired roast chicken on Laura Vitale’s YT channel & immediately got sold on it! The spicy roast chicken infused with flavors from Portuguese cuisine easily appealed the spice-loving Indian taste buds!
If your barbecue season is still not over, then this Portuguese inspired roast chicken would be the best one to call it a day with for this year’s barbecue season; and trust me all your friends will say that you had saved the best for the last!
The flavors of this roast chicken is so intense that it would keep on tantalizing your senses even long after your meal. Trust me, this roast chicken proved to be one of best of bests and just one of its kind!
Before I go into details of the recipe, let me quickly touch upon the reason behind my absence for this last months or so! You may (or may not) know that we had moved in to our own apartment couple of years back.
But due to some constraints, we were unable to design/remodel our kitchen to our liking. Finally the time came and my kitchen got its makeover exactly as I wanted it to be! So yes, my dream kitchen was being built during last month and now it is ready! Yay!
Currently I am in midst of decorating my dream kitchen and will share few pictures soon! I was not able to focus on writing any blog post while all these work was going on as there were too much to handle.
It is really very challenging to get any remodeling project done while staying in the same apartment and that too something as essential as kitchen! I can’t even talk about our makeshift kitchen as it was too ridiculous to be true!
We had full-on camping experience right inside our home during this “Project Dream Kitchen” and we loved every bit of it! Our savior during this time was my trusty oven which allowed us to survive through this ‘no-kitchen’ phase!
Today’s recipe of Portuguese inspired roast chicken is one of the many roast chicken recipes which repeated itself during this adventurous time! During this time I also realized that I can’t be thankful enough for having this vast recipe repertoire of mine thanks to my food blog!
Let me talk about couple of points about this Portuguese inspired roast chicken recipe before signing off. Make sure to use only & only smoked paprika in the marinade and not the regular paprika as it won’t lend any smoky flavor and you won’t experience the true flavor of the recipe.
Secondly, plan this recipe a day ahead so that you can marinade the chicken long enough which would allow the flavors to penetrate deep inside the dark meat of chicken legs and thighs.
If you take care of the above 2 points, you are sorted and nothing can stop you from churning out this fantastic Portuguese inspired roast chicken which will be an absolute show-stopper on your dinner table! Enjoy!
- Chicken full leg (drumsticks and thighs) – 6, skin-on, bone-in
- Italian seasoning – 1 tbsp
- Smoked paprika (sweet) – 1 tbsp
- Chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli sauce – 4 tbsp
- Lemon juice – ¼ cup
- Garlic – 10 to 12 cloved,minced
- Olive oil – ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- Potatoes – 500 gms
- Onion – 2, large
- Take a small bowl and mix together all the marinating ingredients to make a smooth and uniform marinating mixture.
- Now make deep incision into each chicken leg and rub the marinating mixture into each leg thoroughly making sure the chicken pieces are coated evenly on all side and inside the cuts. Take time at this step as it will ensure your chicken is well-seasoned.
- Place the marinated chicken pieces in a bowl just big enough to fit all the chicken legs snugly; if you use too big a bowl, chicken may not sit in the marinating liquid or the marinate may just slip off the chicken pieces and not get infused appropriately.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for about 6 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to roast, prepare the potatoes and onion. Peel the potatoes and cut each into 1-cm circular slices. Peel and cut the onions into thick slices.
- Now preheat your oven to 220 C / 425 F and place the wire rack at the middle of the oven. Take a large roasting pan and drizzle a bit of olive oil on the bottom of the pan.
- Now arrange the potato slices in a single layer at the bottom of the roasting pan. Then scatter the onion slices on top of potatoes and add a pinch of salt to season the veggies.
- Now arrange the marinated chicken legs on top, drizzle the left-over marinade on top of chicken & potatoes and bake them in preheated oven for about an hour or until the chicken & potatoes are completely cooked through.
- Your Portuguese inspired roasted chicken is ready to serve! Allow them to rest a bit before serving and enjoy!!