Attention all shrimp lovers! And sausage lovers too! This stunning recipe of shrimp and sausage skewers will simply blow both of you away!
I am so overwhelmed that I can’t even describe my mental state in words and these shrimp and sausage skewers are to be blamed for this! When you are able to create such stunning recipe like these shrimp and sausage skewers, you automatically will be transported to cloud 9! And you know what’s the best part which may even make you scream with happiness? These shrimp and sausage skewers are ready under 30 minutes and there is hardly any cooking involved! How cool is that? That’s the very reason these shrimp and sausage skewers are best for serving at parties and gatherings. You can actually keep the skewers ready and grill them just before serving or even get together with friends and grill them together! How cool is that! If you are planning the last summer party of this season, add these shrimp and sausage skewers on the menu; I bet you will thank me later!
Being a shrimp lover, I always hunt for shrimp recipes. But this shrimp and sausage skewers proved to be a winner not only for shrimps, but also for sausages thanks to me my sausage loving husband! As soon as I discovered this recipe, I knew this one will soon become a regular in our house. The Cajun spice made these shrimp and sausage skewers all the more addictive and there is simply no escape from its deliciousness. Cajun seasoning is a very easy spice blend which you can make in a jiffy by mixing together handful of dry ingredients. You can also make a large batch of Cajun seasoning since all the spices/aromatics used in this are dry, hence having a long shelf life. This Cajun seasoning is not only useful for these shrimp and sausage skewers, but it will also come in handy for many recipes; for example, my Cajun spiced chicken and potato bake is one of the well-loved recipes using Cajun spice mix.
I was recently travelling a lot which is taking a hit on my recipe publishing schedule. There are more travels to come in future months and I am planning how to maintain my publishing routine. There are so many recipes already stocked in my kitty waiting to be shared with you all that I have lost my count now. I simply can’t wait to bring all of those fantastic recipes to you; I just need to do a better job in planning my blog publishing schedule and I should be sorted. One of the many fantastic recipes is definitely this recipe of shrimp and sausage skewers. Initially I was surprised to see such a huge popularity of this one, but eventually I realized that it is not popular for nothing! Who wouldn’t love grilled shrimps and grilled sausages combined together and gorgeously laced with flavorful Cajun spice mix? If you serve these beauties at your next house party, I am sure you will become a Rockstar immediately.
While selecting shrimps for this recipe, look for jumbo shrimps as they will make your shrimp and sausage skewers look very stunning. For sausages, you can go ahead with any of your favorite variety. I used simple breakfast sausages which is our favorite. Make sure to completely thaw the sausages before skewering them into the sticks. Also, these shrimp and sausage skewers cook very fast; so if you are using outdoor grill, monitor them continuously because you would never want overcooked chewy shrimps or sausages. I used a handy grill pan and grilled my skewers on stove top. Keep basting your shrimps & sausages with the oily marinade while grilling to keep them juicy and moist. That’s all there is to it for making these scrumptious shrimp and sausage skewers! So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get cracking in the kitchen!
- Shrimps – 500 gms, peeled & deveined with tails intact
- Chicken sausage (or any sausage of your choice) – 200 gms
- Dried basil – 2 tsp
- Dried thyme – 2 tsp
- Paprika – 2 tsp
- Onion powder – 1 tsp
- Garlic powder – 1 tsp
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Peel and devein the shrimps keeping the tails intact. Wash and drain all the water out. Transfer them into a large bowl.
- Cut the sausages into 2-cm thick roundels. Transfer them into the same bowl as the shrimps.
- Add all the ingredients listed under marinade into a small bowl and whisk them thoroughly to make a homogeneous marinade mixture.
- Pour the prepared marinade over the shrimps & sausages and mix everything well making sure each shrimp and sausage piece are coated with the spicy marinade thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl with a cling wrap and leave it on countertop for 30 minutes to marinade. At the same time, soak adequate number of bamboo skewers in water.
- After about 30 minutes, take the skewers out of water and thread the shrimps and sausages alternatively into them.
- Heat a grill pan on high and brush it with olive oil. Once the pan is smoking hot, place the shrimp and sausage skewers on them and grill on high for 5 minutes.
- Brush the shrimps & sausages with marinating oil and flip them over after 5 minutes. Grill the other side for 5 more minutes on medium heat. Keep brushing the shrimps & sausages with marinating oil.
- Take the skewers out once they are completely cooked. Serve the delicious shrimp and sausage skewers warm with spicy mayo on the side. Enjoy!