If you like succulent fish inside a super-crispy outer coating, then this incredible batter coated crispy fried fish is just for you! This is so addictive that you can’t make it enough ever!
I never ever thought that a recipe as easy as this crispy fried fish can turn out to be so so delicious! I mean it and I can’t stress it enough! You got to make this incredible crispy fried fish at home irrespective of you being a fish lover or not!
This recipe of crispy fried fish has a magic ingredient which makes this fish fry so crispy & delish and you need to have this secret up in your sleeves. Keep on reading to know more about it and you will get introduced to a world of possibilities since this secret ingredient can create magic in many other dishes too!
Do forgive me if I rant like crazy today but that’s simply because I cannot get over this unbelievable crispy fried fish! In case you are vegetarian, then try this batter with secret to fry up some parboiled potato fingers and they will turn out super-amazing too!
We got a packet of tilapia fillet during our last trip to supermarket. We like tilapia but we had always bought the fresh ones. Since I had seen quite a lot of recipes using tilapia fillets in YouTube, I thought of giving them a try.
While searching again, I stumbled upon this recipe of crispy fried fish in the Allrecipes channel and immediately bookmarked it! And thank god I did! As rightly mentioned, this is hands-down the best crispy fried fish I have ever had in my entire life. The batter comes out so amazingly crispy that it definitely gonna surprise you.
Once you think that the amazingness is over, your taste buds will get a second installment of surprise with the succulent melt-in-mouth cubes of the delicate fish fillet! Tilapia being a firm fish is the best choice for this one as it holds its shape even after being succulent in texture.
The batter I created to make this amazing crispy fried fish is really versatile and can be used for frying up various other things than fish. You can try with some thin strips of boneless chicken breasts, cubes of cheese, veggeis like potatoes, cauliflower or even eggplants.
I guarantee you that each one will turn out to be as amazing as this crispy fried fish! Now let me reveal (in case if you haven’t scrolled down to the recipe already!) the secret ingredient which creates such magic to this simple batter. That secret stuff is nothing but out good old baking powder! Surprised?
Some of you may not be surprised as you may already know that baking powder has this property of lightening the texture of any batter it is added to. That’s why it is used in cakes and other baked stuff. It does the same thing to any batter which is to be used for deep frying items such as meat, seafood or veggies.
If you haven’t ever used this trick then I suggest you to try adding baking powder in your next batch of frying batter and see the difference for yourself. The baking power lightens the batter giving the outer coating a very fluffy yet crispy texture.
Only thing you need to keep in mind is that you cannot rest this batter for long; then the baking powder will lose its potential and you will have to discard the prepared batter completely. So, prepare the batter just before you are ready to fry.
Also, mix the baking powder with dry flour first and then add water to it and not the other way round as the baking powder will not be incorporated properly if added to wet batter. That’s all there is to it to make this mouthwatering crispy fried fish. Try this and tell me who didn’t like it! I bet everyone will and you can thank me later! Enjoy!
- Tilapia fish fillet – 5 (Feel free to use any other firm fish fillet)
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Milk – ½ cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Baking powder – 2 tbsp
- Vegetable oil for deep frying (Use any flavorless oil like sunflower or canola)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the tilapia fillets into 2 inch pieces. Season them with salt on both sides. You can add a dash of paprika too for that kick of spiciness!
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl to mix everything evenly.
- Now add milk and water to the bowl and whisk them until a smooth batter forms. The batter should be of coating consistency so that it adheres to the fish cubes.
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a deep frying pan for deep frying the fish cubes on medium heat.
- Take one piece of fish at a time and dip it into the batter.
- Take it out making sure that both sides are coated generously and then tip into the hot oil. Do not over-crowd the frying pan. Fry them on medium heat until golden brown on both sides. This would take 1 to 2 minutes for each side depending on the heat level.
- Take the fried fish out using a slotted spoon and lay on an absorbent paper towel to soak excess oil.
- Serve those scrumptious crispy fried fish hot with some tartar sauce. Enjoy!