If you like succulent fish inside a super-crispy outer coating, then this incredible batter coated crispy fried fish is just for you! This is so addictive that you can’t make it enough ever!
I never ever thought that a recipe as easy as this crispy fried fish can turn out to be so so delicious! I mean it and I can’t stress it enough! You got to make this incredible crispy fried fish at home even if you are a fish lover or not! In case you are vegetarian, then try this batter to fry up some parboiled potato fingers and they will turn out super-amazing too!
This recipe of crispy fried fish has a magic ingredient which makes this fish fry so crispy and delish. Keep on reading to know more about it and you will get introduced to a world of possibilities since this secret ingredient can create magic in many other dishes too! Do forgive me if I rant like crazy today but that’s simply because I cannot get over this unbelievable crispy fried fish!
We got a packet of tilapia fillet during our last trip to supermarket. We like tilapia but we had always bought the fresh ones. Since I had seen quite a lot of recipes using tilapia fillets in YouTube, I thought of giving them a try. While searching again, I stumbled upon this recipe of crispy fried fish in the Allrecipes channel and immediately bookmarked it! And thank god I did!
As rightly mentioned, this is hands-down the best crispy fried fish I have ever had in my entire life. The batter comes out so amazingly crispy that it definitely gonna surprise you. Once you think that the amazingness is over, your taste buds will get a second installment of surprise with the succulent melt-in-mouth cubes of the delicate fish fillet!
The batter I created to make this amazing crispy fried fish is really versatile and can be used for frying up various other things than fish. You can try with some thin strips of boneless chicken breasts, cubes of cheese, veggeis like potatoes, cauliflower or even eggplants. I guarantee you that each one will turn out to be as amazing as this crispy fried fish!
Now let me reveal (in case if you haven’t scrolled down to the recipe yet!) the secret ingredient which creates such magic to this simple batter.
Baking powder! Surprised? Some of you may not be surprised as you may already know that baking powder has this property of lightening the texture of any batter it is added to. That’s why it is used in cakes and other baked stuff. Try adding baking powder in your next batch of frying batter and see the difference for yourself. You can thank me later for this!
- Tilapia fish fillet – 5 (Feel free to use any other firm fish fillet)
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Milk – ½ cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Baking powder – 2 tbsp
- Vegetable oil for deep frying (Use any flavorless oil like sunflower or canola)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the tilapia fillets into 2 inch pieces. Season them with salt on both sides. You can add a dash of paprika too for that kick of spiciness!
- Whisk together the flour, milk, water, baking powder, and salt in a bowl until smooth.
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a deep frying pan for deep frying the fish cubes on medium heat.
- Take one piece of fish at a time and dip it into the batter.
- Take it out making sure that both sides are coated generously and then tip into the hot oil. Do not over-crowd the frying pan. Fry them on medium heat until golden brown on both sides. This would take 1 to 2 minutes for each side depending on the heat level.
- Take the fried fish out using a slotted spoon and lay on an absorbent paper towel to soak excess oil.
- Serve those scrumptious crispy fried fish hot with some tartar sauce.