These Buffalo chicken wings need no introduction! They are amazingly tasty and unbelievably easy at the same time and sure to be a show-stopper at your next party!
Time for the 201st post of our blog I couldn’t be happier enough! It seems so unreal that this blog, which started as our whims & fancies, now holds more than 200 recipes in its account and is still growing! And what could be better than these amazing Buffalo chicken wings to celebrate such an unbelievable milestone! I should give you a warning though at the very beginning and mark my words – if you are making these Buffalo chicken wings, make sure to make a big batch (I mean really big!) as I can guarantee you these will vanish just in a jiffy! You blink an eye and they are gone! These gorgeous looking Buffalo chicken wings are baked not fried which adds another reason for loving them so helplessly! The skin becomes crispy after baking and the incredible Buffalo sauce clings to them making a deadly combination. Wait! I will come to the sauce in a while!
It’s late night here and I am listening to my favorite music while writing this down this recipe of Buffalo chicken wings. With the stream of thoughts running through my mind right now, I am wondering if I would be able to put things rightly here. Let me try my best! I still can’t believe to have come up to 201st post! My very first post was also a chicken appetizer recipe which proves nothing but that we are absolute freaks when it comes to chicken! Yes, I admit! We i.e. me & my better half, both are freaks! For chicken and for many other things too! That reminds me, when I was in college, I used to freak out for Chinese take aways! Burgers & KFC’s were yet to hit the market here and I was also completely taken over by the lip-smacking local street foods. I had no idea whatsoever that anything called Buffalo chicken wings exist in some part of the world and they are as wonderful as my local favorites!
Our blog has given me this spectacular opportunity to explore each and every cuisine in the world and discover something extra-ordinarily delicious. That’s why this journey never fails to excite me and continues to motivate me to keep going. Who knows what deliciousness I will discover all of a sudden which is totally unknown to me yet! Like I did discover this baked Buffalo chicken wings. Now, as promised, let me come back to the incredible Buffalo sauce used to make these enchanting Buffalo chicken wings. While researching about this super-popular Buffalo chicken wings sauce which originated in United States, I realized that there are two primary ingredients of this sauce which are butter and any hot sauce, like sriracha, red pepper sauce etc. Now which hot sauce to use solely depends on which part of US you belong to.
I always love to play around with Chinese sauces and these Buffalo chicken wings gave me an ideal opportunity to develop something new from the traditional Buffalo chicken wings. The hot sauce I used is Sriracha sauce which is very hot in case you are not aware. Additionally, I used tomato ketchup, vinegar & brown sugar to create a balance and depth of flavors. You gotta trust me on this; the result was outstanding which is proved in these insanely delish Buffalo chicken wings! Instead of buying a bottle of readymade Buffalo sauce, I recommend you to make it at home combining the major ingredients of a classic Buffalo sauce; that way you can control all the flavors as per your own liking. The spicy and crispy Buffalo chicken wings just vanished magically with the blink of an eye! Try it at your home and see the magic happen for yourself!
- Chicken wings (with skin-on) – 1 kg
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Dried rosemary – 2 tsp (optional)
- Unsalted butter – 50 gms
- Sriracha sauce – ¼ cup [You can substitute this with equal amount of any other favorite hot red chilli sauce of yours if you don't have Sriracha handy.]
- Tomato ketchup – ¼ cup
- Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Brown sugar – ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Cut the chicken wings into 2 pieces. Wash and pat them dry and put into a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, dried paprika, olive oil, ginger and garlic paste to the chicken and mix everything well. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 215 C / 420 F for 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Arrange the marinated chicken wings on the prepared baking tray in a single layer. Sprinkle the dried rosemary all over the chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the wing turn crisp and all cooked through. You can test by inserting a toothpick into the meaty part of the chicken wings.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat making sure butter does not burn.
- Add all the ingredients for sauce and mix well with a spatula. Let the sauce become thick enough to be able to cling to the chicken wings. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the chicken wings are done, take them out of the oven and place in a large clean bowl. Pour the sauce over the baked wings and toss well to coat all the pieces thoroughly. You can also use a spatula for tossing and mixing.
- Serve the hot Buffalo chicken wings immediately with a handful of chopped parsley or cilantro sprinkled over them! Enjoy!