This quick and easy chicken & broccoli stir fry is a super meal in itself. It is an absolute win-win recipe with a high deliciousness quotient!
I am all for quick recipes but with only one condition that it must not compromise on the taste! Today’s recipe of chicken & broccoli stir fry fits the bill perfectly and that is why it wins my heart hands down. I am sure you will agree as soon as you try this healthy and delicious chicken & broccoli stir fry.
Stir fries are such saviors I tell you, especially on hectic weeknights! Firstly, there is no hard & first rule for any veggies/meats you can or cannot use and then you can season with whichever sauce you like to finish the dish. What else can you ask for?
This recipe of chicken & broccoli stir fry originated from same thought process as I had to make something quick to satisfy our hunger; but at the same time, it had to be tasty! And that’s exactly when I zeroed in on this healthy chicken & broccoli stir fry!
Now tell me how many of you actually love broccoli and can live only on this single vegetable? Anyone? None? I knew that and I can’t blame you for that! Let’s be honest and admit that broccoli is a very bland and unappetizing vegetable on its own and if not prepared well, it can taste very meh!
But, but but! This super veggie also has the potential of becoming very tasty and you have to trust me on that! Once you make this delicious Chinese inspired chicken & broccoli stir fry, I can guarantee you that you can actually make broccoli taste quite good and can really enjoy it while eating!
The florets of broccoli soak up the beautiful sauce and convert themselves to a very enticing crunchy vegetable to munch on! Plus, you have the chicken to pair it up with!
This simple Chinese sauce which I made for this chicken & broccoli stir fry adheres to the chicken and veggies beautifully and makes everything really flavorful. To put it correctly, the sauce actually gives the chicken & broccoli an entire make-over which you won’t be able to resist!
Broccoli pairs really well with chicken. I have made this stir fry combination of chicken & broccoli many times and experimented with the sauces; finally, I have arrived at my final version which perfect blend of all flavor components. The right amount of sweetness, tartness, saltiness and heat will strike the right chord of your taste buds.
This chicken & broccoli stir fry is not only tasty and quick but is also very healthy for you. As you can see that the green is retained in the broccoli because I have simply steamed them for few minutes before stir frying, you will have all the goodness of this super-veggie in your bowl.
Plus, I have used chicken breast in my chicken & broccoli stir fry and you may already know that chicken breast is the leanest part of the bird meat making it way more delightful for all the weight-watchers out there.
Even with chicken breast, this chicken & broccoli stir fry will taste really good thanks to the luscious sauce which rounds up everything. If you are okay with little extra calories, you may use chicken thighs; just used skinless & boneless thigh meats cutting them into small bite-size pieces.
Thigh meat will taste somewhat better compared to chicken breast; so, take a call based on your priority. But whatever you choose, this chicken & broccoli stir fry will taste unapologetically mouth-watering! That’s a guarantee from me!
Plus, the recipe is so easy that dinner will be ready under 30 minutes on a weeknight! Total win-win, right?
- Boneless and skinless chicken breast – 250 gms
- Broccoli – 1 medium head
- Garlic powder – ½ tsp
- Cornflour – 1 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Dark soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Oyster sauce – 2 tsp
- Rice wine vinegar – 1 tsp
- Green chilli sauce – 2 tsp
- Garlic – 6 to 8 cloves, minced
- Vegetable oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Cut the broccoli into medium size florets discarding the hard stalks. Bring a large pan of salted water to boil. Drop the broccoli florets into the boiling water and let it cook on high flame for exactly 2 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and put in ice water to retain the vibrant green color of the broccoli. Drain after 15 minutes and set aside.
- Make a sauce by mixing together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, green chilli sauce, cornflour and half a cup of water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast into long strips. Add minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon of cornflour and ½ teaspoon of salt to the chicken. Drizzle some vegetable oil and mix everything well.
- Heat a large wok and add 2 teaspoon of vegetable oil into it. Once the oil is super-hot, add the chicken pieces on place them on single layer. Fry the on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- When the chicken is almost cooked, after about 10 minutes, add the steamed broccoli and the prepared sauce [Make sure to whisk the sauce again before adding as the cornflour has the tendency to settle down at the bottom]. Sprinkle some more water if the veggies and chicken stick to the wok.
- Stir-fry everything on high heat for couple of minutes and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if required. Keep in mind that all the sauces are salty in itself; so taste before adding more.
- When the sauce thicken and adheres to the chicken and broccoli and everything seem to be cooked through, remove from heat.
- Serve hot on a bed of white rice!