These crispy as well as juicy buttermilk fried chicken will end your search for that perfect fried chicken recipe. You will simply be addicted to these damn goodness!
I had heard that buttermilk creates wonder to fried chicken but wasn’t so sure until I tried it! And man! What a magical wonder that was! We are simply hooked to it! For me, egg was that magic ingredient till date and now buttermilk is added to that list.
With this one ingredient, the making of fried chicken becomes so easy and simple that it is hard to believe the final outcome would be so delish! We are just killed!
Fried chicken is always our favorite choice when it comes to take-out as I could never get the fried chicken done perfectly at home. Something or the other always seems to be missing whenever I tried to make it at home.
But honestly, the buttermilk has cleared all of my apprehensions with respect to that perfectly golden fried chicken which is super-crispy on the outside and super-juicy on the inside!
Once you make this yourself you will agree that you can’t stop yourself from talking about it with friends and family. You will keep insisting them to try it at home and see for themselves how good it is!
I have other varieties of chicken fry which are quite popular in my site – like that spicy boneless chicken fry which people have loved so much; or the super-popular chicken 65 from the rich South Indian cuisine.
All these Indian-spiced chicken fry recipes were our favorite and now to add to that list we have this oh-so-simple and oh-so-quick buttermilk fried chicken! Enjoy!
- Chicken drumsticks – 4 [You can use chicken wings or chicken breasts]
- Buttermilk – 100 ml (1 cup)
- Egg - 1
- Paprika/red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Hot pepper sauce – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 & ½ tsp
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup (approx.)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash your chicken and dry it with paper towels. If using drumsticks like me, make some incisions on the thickest part.
- In a bowl mix the liquid ingredients – buttermilk and eggs – and spices – paprika, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper – and mix really well.
- In another bowl, combine the baking powder and baking soda, and then whisk into the buttermilk mixture until it becomes foamy.
- Take a shallow dish and spread about 1 cup of flour. Arrange the buttermilk and flour side by side to start dredging the chicken.
- First dredge the chicken in the flour on all sides, then dip into the buttermilk mixture and make sure it's coated well all around. Then again dredge the chicken in flour one more time, then place the chicken on a plate. Repeat the same process with all chicken pieces.
- In a deep frying pan, heat enough oil so that the chicken remains mostly immersed into the oil while frying. When the oil is smoking hot, reduce the flame to medium and put the chicken into the oil. Do not put too many pieces at once as they may stick together. Also too many pieces will reduce the temperature of the oil and the chicken won’t be cooked well.
- Fry the chicken for about 10 min on the first side and then flip it over and fry for another 5 to 7 minutes. If you are using chicken breast or wings, they will take less time to cook; so do keep an eye. You have to fry the chicken on medium heat until the pieces are golden brown and crispy.
- Once done, place them on paper towels to soak up the excess oil and sprinkle some salt over it.
- Serve hot with your favorite ketchup and some green salad!